Ponds

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by EvanG, Dec 16, 2011.

1. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Take a look and offer some questions or insights. Let's hear 'em!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

There are ideas for all these features. Let's hear it!

EvanG

2. crackerd

crackerd Elite Refuge Member

Evan, what are you asking, how they could be made more technical? (Or are "they" a single pond that's been photographed from different vantages?)

Don't see any islands, for one thing, and channels could be better delineated (for the dog's sake) if you're teaching concepts.

MG

3. Lab Man

Lab Man Moderator Moderator

I wish I had that in my back yard!!!!!!!!

4. EvanG

There are three ponds. But what I'm interested in is how various trainers view them, and what ideas they might have for thier use.

EvanG

5. Pas Bon

Pas Bon Elite Refuge Member

Stocked with Bass, Bream and Catfish... beyond that maybe a rope swing?

6. Meats

Meats Elite Refuge Member

Eactly what I was going to post :clap:l:clap

7. EvanG

If those pictures only make you want to go fishing you need to sell all your training equipment and fish more. Get a bass boat!

I look at any of those pictures and see numerous marks, blinds, and drills I want to go and run! MANY!

EvanG

8. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

OK, the scouting "rounds" for geese have been completed and we had a date in court to watch our legal system "crawl along". I played with a few of the photos in terms of what I might do for a young dog in early transition or possibly "maintain" my older dogs.

It should be noted, the proposed diagrams would probably be out of context in terms of the regular flow of training.....but they are fun to think about.

What's really on my mind is surprising a few geese in the morning..... because they were "there".

The first diagram is a marking setup which would begin an intro (or review) of multiple entry/exits with a young dog. I'd probably break it down into simpler segments before running them all from the longest line. This would be over a period of a week or so with "other stuff" in between along with making sure the factors (wind mostly) remained consistent.

"marking setup"
    [​IMG]

The next three represent an on going theme of running blinds over and past points. It begins with a preliminary, refresher lining drill to make sure the young dog is comfortable with angle entries and exits skills.

"lining drill"
    [​IMG]

"gradual transition'"
    [​IMG]

"more challenging with some conflict"
    [​IMG]

What would you do with this pond...tomorrow morning? :nutz

"telephoto scouting report"
    [​IMG]

9. Mike Perry

Mike Perry Elite Refuge Member

I like the last pic in Jim's response the best.
    I would put a few on the other side also and my lay out and Taffy in the high weeds on the far side and shoot them as they finished. Shells on both sides and the walkers on the ice like you ghave them and you might catch them in the air with a fishing net.

10. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Yesterday when viewing this photo, I could "see" the marks. Possible setups could vary from easier hunt tests to very challenging field trial series. The direction of the wind needs to be taken into account.

Distance could be reduced (somewhat) by moving the line to the right. As it looks now the point is setup with a flyer station (including crates of live ducks). There is an "under the arc" mark. The long gunner on this mark could retire behind the mound in a field trial scenario.

It could be run as two doubles or a delayed quad. One (or two) of the marks could be a blind(s). There are many different combinations including flipping the area of a fall with its gunner and varying the angle of the throw (back, flat or in). However, the placement of the flyer station must take into account the locations of the other gunners. Also, within a hunt test situation, use of the trees would make it easy to hide the gunners.

If I were training my dogs on these marks, the stations would be white coated gunners in view almost all the time.

[​IMG]