Poor early season?

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by shirtguy, Sep 20, 2014.

1. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

Absolutely few geese here. Won't decoy. Won't land with any other birds. Biggest bunch I've seen is 11. No juvies yet. Looks like the GFP has succeeded in reducing the resident numbers. Should be fishing or making applesauce.

2. James Maxum

James Maxum Senior Refuge Member

I've had the best luck hunting with smaller decoy spreads, and little to no calling. No layouts, bales or cut corn. They are out there.......

3. cmelik10

cmelik10 Elite Refuge Member

ive noticed the same thing. Two wheat fields right next to each other and there will be 5-6 birds in each field, 8-9 three or four miles down the road in another field. We did get in on a decent hunt out by mitchell a last week but that is the most birds I have seen in one area all season so far.

4. flagem2

flagem2 Senior Refuge Member

Completely agree with other posts. Definitely fewer geese around. There are geese out there but not in numbers of previous years. Heard other hunters echoing same observations of previous posts too.

5. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

This sounds very similar to what happened in Missouri a few years ago when MDC started oiling eggs, rounding up molting geese for homeless shelter food, etc. It doesn't take long to knock down the resident numbers. We had a really fun early season for a few years. Don't even know why we have one now.

6. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

I haven't seen many at all. It's been so bad driving around the other day with my son I saw some geese in a pasture. There were maybe 25. I actually said, "hey, there's a bunch of geese!" Not to offend anyone if 25 is a bunch to them but it sure isn't to me and its a sad situation that I got excited about 25 geese. The GFP tells us year in and year out the numbers are so high. Well, the last two years, either no geese are in my area, the geese are great hiders, or the numbers are nowhere what the GFP says. I know which choice my guess would be after lots of scouting.

7. cmelik10

cmelik10 Elite Refuge Member

I think there are pockets of birds but those pockets are few and far between. Obviously there is a large number of resident geese in Sioux Falls, Brookings had 75-100 (maybe more that lived in a close vicinity, I am sure there was more than a few up around Pointsett but they didn't seem to be as spread out as they have been in the past, maybe I am wrong and I just didn't see them when I was scouting. We did get into some good numbers just east of Mitchell but my buddy said that even those are splitting up pretty good and he is seeing small groups per field.

8. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

Time to concentrate on ducks.

9. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

I haven't been out hunting at all due to the wife passing away few weeks ago and my three boys this year. I have seen ok numbers of geese in the area I had several hundred roosting on the lake till some fisherman been kicking them off the last few days. I haven't seen or heard of much pressure from other hunters but I haven't done much driving around checking. This morning I got woke up by gun fire some youth hunters sounds like there out having a good time.

10. Chesadore

Chesadore Refuge Member

I've had a great early season. Between myself and a buddy we have killed 110 on 5 hunts.