Pork shoulder/ picnic roast - Traeger?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by DOG MAGNET, Feb 10, 2007.

1. DOG MAGNET

DOG MAGNET Senior Refuge Member

Hi there. I don't post too much and have never posted on the cooking forum. Just been reading. Anyway, I bought an 8.5 ib Pork shoulder/picnic roast yesterday ( on sail $.99 lb), and am planning on cooking on my Traeger. Anybody have any suggestions, recipes, suggestions, how long it will take?
    Right now, I am planning on trimming some of the fat, putting on a rub, seal in plastic overnight, smoking for 2 hours, cooking on medium till almost done, and then switching to high.

2. Creedmore

Creedmore Elite Refuge Member

I've had very good results with pork shoulders in my smoker for making pulled pork. Do just like you described as far as prep and rub. I'll put the shoulders in the smoker for about 3 hours at around 175 degrees. Then put them in an aluminum roasting pan and cover with foil. Back on the smoker or in the oven for 6 more hours at 180 degrees. You want to keep the temps this low so the collagen can break down. Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour (or until you can't stand it anymore). It will absolutely fall apart, and your guests will think you're a culinary genius. :tu

3. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Wass's a Traeger? A new fangled super smoker?? Ok i went to their web site-- cooking with pellets to me is like farming salmon and feeding them pellets--Not fo this boy--the texas models look like they were copied from new Brauenfels cookers-- also look exactly like Smith & wesson model i saw at gander mtn yesterday. real pricey but thass ok for yuppies i guess. i do everything i have to on 4 appliances- a home made smoke house--a brinkmann smoker/ cooker--a home made pig roaster/brisket cooker - and a Brinkmann gas grille.Total cost around $200 and some BUD.

4. satcomm

satcomm Senior Refuge Member

Hey Dog Magnet, What model of Traeger do you have? 4 position or digital controller? I've been using an 075 for about a year now, love it.

Your on the right track for doing that pork butt. I cover them with a coating of plain yellow mustard, them apply whatever rub your using, wrap in plastic film and refrigerate until till your ready to start. Start for the first 2 hours on the smoke setting and then move to the 235 (on the digital, or low I think, on the 4 position controller) setting for the rest of the time. I take them to 200 - 205 degree internal temp for pulled pork or 180 degrees if I'm slicing. Take them off and let sit for 45 min. wrapped in foil in a cooler.

Best of luck.

5. DOG MAGNET

Sat comm,
    I have the Smith & Wesson 044. It is made by Traeger and almost exactly like the 072 except for stainless steel lid handle instead of wood. I have never seen a 4 position controller, just 3 (smoke, medium and high). I got a digital thermostat that didn't work, and have been using the original 3 position controller. Cook almost everything on med after letting in smoke for a while. Just about and hour ago I put in my new digital thermostat. I sat outside and played with the controller and the dogs. I still don't know if it is working correctly, but better than the first digital. On smoke, it settled in about 175, on 180 it settled in at 220, on the next notch-250, on 275 it settled about right. So until I talk to the factory, these are the temps I have to work with tomorrow. Tell me how long at each of these temp you think I should cook. I will report Sunday night how it all turned out.
    Hope to have it done by 5 or 6 and not 9 or 10 tomorrow night. Wish the weather was better so I could just sit in the lawn chair, drink beer and watch it smoke.

6. DOG MAGNET

I left Traeger on180 for last 1/2 hour and it is settling in to that temp,

7. berk

berk Elite Refuge Member

225 - 250 degrees, 2 hrs/lb. Rub with whatever ya got (or nothing, it doesn't add that much to the flavor). When the internal temp is in the low 190's, try picking it up. If it falls apart, it's done. If not, leave it on until it is.

About the only way to screw up a pork butt is to not take the internal temp high enough.

8. DOG MAGNET

It came out good, but not pulled pork. It was more like a pork roast. Must not have gotten the temp high enough. Parts of it were starting to dry out though. I don't think I cooked it at too high of temp.