pos teal season blues

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Thought I'd post since this forum has been too quiet. Well, teal season mostly sucked although it was good to get out. No mishaps, excepting I had to extricate my friend's rig that was trapped in one of our floating mud bricks- you either have to hit them a top speed and grab on so you don't get flung and hope you fly over but most times you get stuck and even a reverse (I don't have one and I had to fab up another push pole) Is useless. Water level is good, the big lake has come up 1' since then and the five teal are probably in coastal Colombia.
    We need plenty of cold fronts, so all of you up north send them on down. Consider this a standing order. Last two seasons the surveys have glowed about the big hatches and good numbers but frankly we have been passed over or short-stopped or you name it. Too quiet. I'll be getting a new diver call (Haydels) for my arsenal, though the ringers that winter here are not too vocal, just like our Osceola turkeys, but a man must have toys and gadgetry and now and then pray. Federal blue box steel shotshells are gathering dust- yeah, I know they are a bit dirty but does not seem to matter in my pump or double, but they are more than adequate for ringer-killing.
    A bit sad, my daughter sure enjoyed the last batch of teal I cooked up, so there is a standing order for teal and/or ringer.:D

2. bspurred

bspurred New Member

How you cooking your teal? Not that i got any,,,but if and when i do sure would like to know a good recipe. Might have to use it on ringers or?chicken?lol.

3. Glades Ranger

I used my coonass friend's method: make a roux first, with hearts and gizzards, fat and and little flour. Of course you take the cleaned whole birds and dust them with some spice, like Tony Chachere's, inside and out, and put some oil in a pot and bring to medium high heat and brown the birds, and then lower the heat and add wine, water, veggies if you like. I like some onion. Cook at low heat, stirring now and then, add water when needed- or wine. After 2-3 hours the meat should come off the bones easy. I like to pour the birds and gravy over rice. The teal is delicate and cooks good; the local ringers are a bit tougher, even when fresh.
    For my daughter and wife, I cooked the main meal like I just described, but served them grilled poppers as appetizers- meaning kebabs of duck wrapped in bacon and mild jalapeno peppers. Can't go wrong. Slainte!

4. Blacklab227

Blacklab227 Elite Refuge Member

FYI- A loose single-reed mallard call works great for divers. Just a "brrr" into the call will sound exactly the same as a branded diver call.

Source- I bought a diver call once.

5. Glades Ranger

I agree, been doing that for some time now, inasmuch as they are more call-shy or indifferent than the mottled ducks, for instance. I don't call much, unless it is a flock of fulvous and a whistle usually works. The more rare visitors like widgeon or pintail also like the whistle; woodies are more common than those and I have an older woodie squealer that does the job more often than not. I just received the Haydels diver call, and I think I will sound more legitimately like a ringer drake- hey, thinking positive accounts for a lot, and of course scouting. Thank you!