Possible move.

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by duckster870, Mar 17, 2013.

1. duckster870

duckster870 Senior Refuge Member

Hey fellas, my wife and I are contemplating on taking a couple jobs in anchorage. We do not know a whole lot about Anchorage, we have actually never been there. Any info on area of town to live, cost if living, good or bad idea to move up there would be great.

Btw we are 26 years old with no kids and one black lab female, and we are both nurses.

2. waldo2382

waldo2382 Refuge Member

Anchorage is another big city. You can see Alaska from there, as the joke goes. Everything you need it there, you're just in Alaska. Cost of living is more there, but in anchorage it is cheaper than other places in alaska for pretty much everything. All seasons are fun to go out and do something. I don't hang out in Anchorage much, I just pass through. A fair amount of people live in outside towns like Eagle River or further north in the Palmer-Wasilla (Mat-Su) valley, 40 miles away. Housing is cheaper there and a little more spread out. Good luck.

3. Boomerzuma

Boomerzuma Senior Refuge Member

No sales tax. You buy something for $1.99, you pay $1.99.
    No state income tax.
    The state pays residents an annual oil dividend!
    I was up there fishing last Aug. & flew into Anchorage. It's pretty damn neat up there... wouldn't mind living there myself.

4. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Alaska is a great place to live and grow up. You'll find things up here that just dont exist anymore down south. Head down a river, a little ways away from the launch, and your all by yourself. Lots of country with no one in it. I enjoy that feeling. Lots of areas to hunt, and never consider a no tresspassing sign...although that has changed over the years. It is more expensive to live here, as cost of living is higher than it is in OK, but wages should be comensurate, and we have few taxes.

Season wise, dont know what your season in OK is, but its shorter here. Not due to regulation, but due to winter and the ducks natrual tendency to migrate south when the water locks up. I'd say we get two months, then your searching for salt water if that entices you. Big game, great place to go for that. You will need toys. Boat and 4 wheeler will open up a lot of territory to you. If your limited to feet, much smaller areas. Access is pretty tough here as the road networks just dont exist. So, its either the toys mentioned above or pay someone to get you where you want to go. Spendy.

Winter is also a bit longer, darker and colder than your current home, but it opens up a whole 'nother mode of travel (snow mo) and really opens up some country to go explore....

5. waldo2382

waldo2382 Refuge Member

For the sales tax, it depends on the city and borough (county) you're in. Anchorage and Valdez has no sales tax. Homer and Cordova do have sales tax. Just to clarify.

6. bigunga1

bigunga1 Senior Refuge Member

As a dog owner you will have a hard time finding a rental allowing pets...
    There is a lot more condos... town houses... Duplexes ... Fourplexes...here than single family homes ... Very hard to find a HOUSE...

I have two that stays outside in two kennels and its hard to find a rental that allows that much less inside...

Look at craiglist and you will see for yourself... It will be easier with the two of you but there is five of us...we need a 3/2 minimum...

Housing here is expensive to buy and rent... Very few under 200k...

EVERYTHING is more expensive... Food gas everything ... A box of birdshot is 10$ at Walmart ... It's cheaper to go to an independent dealer...

There is no crappie... Turkeys ... Or doves...:mad:

Now,

It's one of the most beautiful places that god created...:amen

The river fishing is great if you can stay on top of the tides...

The lake fishing is good also...

All the ducks are the same color early on...

Good luck...

7. bigunga1

bigunga1 Senior Refuge Member

8. Larry D

Larry D Elite Refuge Member

Spring duck season underway yet?

9. duckster870

duckster870 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the replies guys. We are planning to come up and visit in June or July. Nothing is set in stone yet, but we are really considering the option of moving up there.