Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Possible road trip from CA in 2016

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by CenCalDucker, Nov 11, 2015.

1. CenCalDucker

CenCalDucker Elite Refuge Member

I am pondering making a trip to the Southern part of your state next season, most likely the Snake River. Being a river hunter, and a duck hunter in general, I understand I may not get a lot of help and certainly no "X"s, but I would like some help:
    1. Lodging. I want some place that is dog friendly, decent enough for the Mrs, and fairly centrally located for scouting and hunting.
    2. River access. I plan on bringing my own boat (outboard jet). Is there a directory of public launches or privately owned launches that allow access?
    3. Best time of year to come. I plan on spending about a week total on this trip. I know I will have to burn some time scouting but would like to get a solid 3 days of hunting in.
    Lastly, if someone wants to just take me hunting I am not opposed to that either.

2. bagriz

bagriz New Member

3. CenCalDucker

Thanks.

4. junkie

junkie Refuge Member

There is a guy out in Notus area near Parma that is renting out his house on a daily rate during duck season

5. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

6. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Maybe, but my last three days here(Idaho) have been pretty good. I won't get this quality when I get home to Yreka.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CenCalDucker

It's not just about the ducks, although straps of green do intrigue me. I Iike seeing, and hunting new areas. Gene, we need to talk...

8. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

First off, you do realize that the snake is a big river going from Wyoming to Oregon (the stretch that's usually hunted) so your intended destination would help answer your questions. Not much of the river is close to towns with decent lodging, so you will be driving some to fill that need. Lastly, many do use jets, but a common complaint in my area is with jets getting clogged with weeds. I don't run one so I can't say to what degree it is a problem, just a heads up. As far as time, every year is different. The Snake is the place to be once everything else freezes. Before that it can be hit or miss.

9. bagriz

bagriz New Member

I run a jet on the Snake here in SW Idaho and yes the milfoil can clog your jet on occasions, mostly early season. Weather is a huge factor as to when the hunting is good. When the temp drops, the hunting improves big time.
    Lot's of places to lodge within 10min. of the Snake. Contact me if your interested. :reader