Post Pics of your Waterfowl Habitat

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by DisplacedDuck, Sep 29, 2016.

1. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

Call it pre-season anxiety, a burning interest, or whatever you wish-post up any pictures you have of the habitat you've created/managed-before, during, or after season!

It's always interesting to see different plots with different management strategies.

PS-Do NOT feel the need to post locations, areas, targeted species if you do not feel so inclined. This post is meant purely to promote the interest in eachother's projects, not to steal ideas or honey holes. As such, if you have some top secret new strategy or food plot, don't share the picture (duh).

Cheers!

11-21.jpg
    Here is one of my favorites of an old field we had permission to plant, hunt on. We planted a couple acres of corn on the deep end of a field that would naturally flood come fall and winter. The ears of corn were always much higher than the water level, but it was so neat to see how ducks would stretch up or fly up to rip an ear down and eat it at their leisure on the water. Never really tore 'em up there save a few snow days, but the memories sure are numerous!

Albino Woodie likes this.
  2. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

I was just thinking about posting up a thread titled "Show Me Your Hole!" but I figured I might get some undesirable pics :l:l I'll post somethin after I run up to my place on Saturday. Won't have water yet, but I'll post a few pics. Nice lookin corn spot!

Clayton and stevena198301 like this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

That was probably for the best, right there... :l :tu

Cliner likes this.
  4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Just took this pic last week of my place. Hope the rainbow is a good omen!

[​IMG]

Started this project from a pine forest. Researched usda sponsored programs and found one that would work. Has taken several years of work and a heck of a lot of sweat equity to get this project finally looking right. It's all moist-soil, about 20 acres consisting of two ponds, the smaller one being 3 acres. Presently have one heck of a stand of panic grass, along with some by grass, smartweed, sedges, switchgrass (cover/erosion) and a little jap millet. Pic below is a rain-flooded portion of the unit that we will hunt next Saturday...provided we don't have this hurricane!

[​IMG]

A decent stand of smartweed. Really starting to spread all around the unit now.

[​IMG]

Really hoping for a good season as all dirt work with heavy equipment was finally finished in July. Last year the place still looked good but there simply were no birds in the area due to the extremely warm weather.

Albino Woodie and Cliner like this.
  5. DisplacedDuck

JFG that's a nice lookin spot! I'm especially impressed with how you took it from a pine forest to that! Were all of those native grasses you mentioned native to THAT seed bank or was there anything you transplanted?

6. DisplacedDuck

Haha, yeaahhh I wouldn't want to be around to see some of what might pop up in that picture thread.... :l

7. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

JFG very nice. I know it's a great feeling to see all that hard work finally come together.:clap

JFG likes this.
  8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Thanks DD. Most of that land was once a Ag field that the person let go some 25 years prior to me purchasing so I had a pretty good native seed bank to work with. The panic grasses got going on their own as did the sedges. My buddies and I "augmented" a lot of the smartweed and barnyard grasses that we harvested and broadcast ourselves. The switchgrass seed (Alamo and Kanlow) was bought and specifically seeded in certain areas as I thought would be needed (dike shoulders and shelves, ditch edges). It's taken time as mentioned but has finally come to fruition, although there is always something more needing to be done. Call it a labor of love ...

9. DisplacedDuck

Amen to that.
    *sighs*
    ....*cries*
    :l

10. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

How are your spots handling all of this rain in NC?