Post Pics of your Waterfowl Habitat

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by DisplacedDuck, Sep 29, 2016.

1. greenheadIL

greenheadIL Elite Refuge Member

What is the general opinion on coontail as duck food? Will be hunting an area that we worked hard to get dry pumped for close to 3 weeks. Got it dry for about 48 hrs and was hit by about 6 inches of rain and filled back up. No moist soil plants but the coontail is about as thick as I have every seen difficult to motor thru and the paths always close back up. Have have some good gadwal and teal shoots over thick patches.

2. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

Ducks eat coontail. They eat the leaves/shoots and seeds, it also provides a big diversity of invertebrates ducks eat. The biggest problem with coontail is that it grows and reproduces super fast. It can choke out an area extremely fast. Which is why it's closing up your paths so quickly, it is tough to navigate through when it is matted up. They make special cutters to cut paths/remove it, they may take it easier to deal with and get through the season until your get back on track with you normal management. Dabblers like wigeon and gadwall like it, explains the good gadwall hunts over it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  3. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

The new hurricane track sure doesn't look good for you guys in NC. All my family is in southeastern VA and they are getting worried.

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

No it doesn't Clayton. I'm heading up to my place Wednesday to start putting stuff up. Being near the water and only 2' above sea level doesn't bode well for major storms like this.

b

5. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

JFG you think you will have issues with excessive salt water coming in? I've already had a few places that have had issues with it this year, i know this storm will probably fry them.

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Hard to say, really depends on the speed of the hurricane. But from what I see now, I think we're all gonna be in trouble. My dike's avg. height is only 2.5-3'. Hurricane Irene (which stalled over the sound in 2011) put 50" of water on the island. Highest locals had ever seen. Last fall we had that constant NE blow for 11 days which put almost 2.5' of sound water across the island. I didn't get any salt water in with that one but it got level in a couple spots.

Keeps y'all's appendages crossed for us fellers, could be ugly here ....

7. Duckdstroyer

Duckdstroyer Refuge Member

for u East Coast guys.

Gadwalls, Green-wings, and more Gadwalls! This unit produces several 42 Gadwall (when I can get me gunners to lay off the Teal) hunts/season. They love it in early season. Then after Christmas the Mallards will move in, for what I assume is for the Invertibrates.

8. Duckdstroyer

***Praying for you Eas Coast guys.

9. Duckdstroyer

Few new MSM pics...

*I wish I knew how to import pics into text.

Attached Files:

10. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Looks real good Duckdstroyer.

Praying for you all in NC.