Post up a pic of your 4x4 or 4x4's

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by 10ga, Jan 11, 2013.

1. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

I bought another Land Cruiser 100 series last week. So far installed a OME 3" lift, extended the diff breathers, and put some new Nitto TG 295/75R16 tires.

[​IMG]

Also picked up a one owner DC Tacoma for a DD. I love my Land Cruisers but this newer Tacoma is a joy to drive and has the rear diff lock in the TRD Off Road version. Nice to have something I can drive a couple weeks without stopping for gas but I also drive the Cruiser a day or 2 a week. Getting ready to fab some sliders, bumpers, and roof rack for the 100 series.

I think I'll leave the Taco completely stock, no need to do something to make the gas mileage go down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Good lord, how many trucks you got!

3. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

I'm actually down to the 2 you see. A guy sent me an offer through IH8MUD.com for the white 100 series I had and it's now in North Dakota. Red 80 is in North Carolina. The guy who bought the red 80 drove it from NC to Moab last month and he said it ran like a champ there and back except for spending around $1,800 in fuel. I love building these things and then when I'm done, I get bored and start looking for another project. I'm keeping the Taco but if I find a diesel 70 series, I'll be all over it and the 100 will probably go up for sale. I'm going to get it built and plan on having some fun in it this winter.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

The wife and I were talking last night, and she had never heard of a Land Cruiser (more like, she had never paid attention to one). I told her to go look up some of the old Land Cruisers, and she came away wanting one. :l She saw a fully restored FJ40 and fell in love with it, until she saw the $80K price tag! I said, "do you remember what the front of my FJ Cruiser looked like?", and it was like an epiphany. She said "I had no idea why the front of that thing looked like it did!".

There are 2 here at work that I drool over, every time I see them. One of the guys is a fan. I think the other bought it as a DD, with no clue what he bought. It looks like it was well taken care of, but bone-stock.

I'd love to have one. I'd really love to have a diesel.

5. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

Land Cruisers are the best. I took a ride in a brand new 1980 FJ40 when I was a kid and for some reason, I fell in love with them. All my buddies had hot rods and all I could think about was how I could own a Cruiser. It took me a while but when I was 28 I bought a 1983 FJ60 and really wished I still had it. I also owned a few International Scouts and one Grand Wagoneer but nothing beats a Cruiser. I was thinking serious about buying a 1982 FJ40 back in the spring but after driving it for a couple days, I decided to go back with another 100 series. The 40 is an awesome rig but at the time I also had to use whatever I bought for a daily driver and the 40 is not cut out for that in my business. Now if I could find one just for the weekends, it would be great. If it was up to me I would have all of my garages setting full on them. The 80 series is a great all around rig for off road and daily driving. The 80 is also probably the most capable off road if you find one with front and rear diff locks. The 100 I have is only locked in the rear but my white one was locked front and rear. The 80 has the front solid axle and the 100 is IFS so the 80 is a lot stronger. Not to mention they are easier to lift. The IFS can only be lifted around 3 inches and you still have to drop the front diff or you'll be going through CV axles often. I guess I've had around 10 Cruisers and loved everyone of them. I've owned one since 1993 so chances are I will always have one.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Haha, I thought you still had all of them. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I've only owned my 60, but I've driven everything from Scouts to Broncos to CJ5's and the 'cruiser takes the cake. I've got it half torn down now; was gonna build it up for hunting and playing offroad, but have decided to just semi restore it and make it an evening/weekend rig for driving around town and eventually get an 80 for more of a dd, workhorse hunting rig.

7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

When I was a kid, my dad turned wrenches at a small auto shop in our little town. Behind that shop, sat a beautiful FJ40. It was white. I remember playing in it, when I was about 8-10 years old. That's when I found my interest in them. It was owned by a friend of the shop owners. Dad told me later in life, that he left it parked there, because he was always having upgrades done to it. He never drove it, just upgraded it. He would have the shop owner put on parts, then he and my dad would go into the strip pits, and "test it out" for him, at his request.

I'm not sure whatever happened to that old truck...

@tcc, saying Cruisers take the cake, might be the understatement of the year. LOL They may not be as iconic as a Jeep in the US, but they are a 100% phenomenal vehicle that in my opinion, are more capable and more durable.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yeah they're not nearly as well known in the US as they are in the rest of the world; they are considered the crème de la crème in much of the world though. I have actually been surprised at how many people do know what they are; about once a week when I drove it a lot I would have someone come talk to me about it when out and about. Had a guy in a mid 2000's Z71 literally follow me through a few red lights wanting to trade. I've had several notes left on the windshield asking to buy it. Even had an old lady get pissed for a bit until I could convince her that I didn't buy it from some dude she knew that had promised her first dibs when he sold it; she was probably pushing 70 and no lie nearly threw a tantrum until she calmed down enough that I could tell her where I got it.

9. dawnchaser

dawnchaser New Member

Current rig, surf fishing, hauling the boat and hunting all in one truck.

Attached Files:

10. bsktball55

bsktball55 Senior Refuge Member

Here's my new Tundra I got a couple months back. [​IMG] [​IMG]

SutterduckHunter and DuckyPhe like this.