Post up a pic of your 4x4 or 4x4's

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by 10ga, Jan 11, 2013.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Had an old Toyota P/U with a SBC in it. With the original rear-end, it wouldn't get over about 80-85 MPH, but it'd sure get there in a hurry! :l

That i-Force has a LOT of power, but you don't have to use it all... I just prefer to!

Another cool option would be the 4.0 V6 that came in the Cruisers/Tacomas. My Cruiser pulled boats and campers to Arkansas and Kansas from Alabama umpteen times with no issue, AND, if I could keep my foot out of it, 23 MPG was possible. Believe I got 24MPG on the way home from Florida once, but the wifey drove half way, and she does the speed limit.

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I drive like a grandpa so don't need fast, but I do want to be able to sustain speed on a 1% grade!
    I also want simple, and as little electronics as possible, hence my desire for the 4bd. They can be all mechanical, good fuel mileage, and the kind of power I want. I like torquey on low end, almost tractorish feel that will idle uphill at 700rpm; all that just fits the character of the 60 imo.
    Now if I had an 80 I'd go with an LS 6.0 in a heartbeat! Again the iForce would be nice too, just way too complicated.

3. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

The 4.7 swap is nice choice but I would say compared to the LS, you're talking a lot more money. Slee Off Road charges $20,000 - $25,000 to do that swap in a FZJ80. The 4.7 is probably one of the most dependable engines Toyota ever built but I think for most people, the LS would be just as good. Plus you'll get more HP and torque with the LS. A Cummins 4BT with a 5-speed would be the ticket but again, a lot of money.

Here's a link to the Slee 2UZ swap. I talked to the guy who owns this rig and he loves it but cost wasn't a factor for him.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

While I am a Toyota fan, it's hard to deny that the LS is a damn good engine that's about as reliable as any out there. I'd like the 2UZ, but just not nearly as easy as a GM engine.
    The Isuzu 4BD is the equivalent of the Cummins 4BT, specs are almost identical but the Isuzu is smoother, quieter, and about 4" shorter(Cummins requires a min 4" lift, something I'd rather not do; rather not go over 2" if even that). Not as much aftermarket support if you want to make a bunch of power, but that's not an issue for me, I'll take the refinement over the power.
    Regardless of what I go with I'll certainly be doing it myself--no way I could afford to pay someone to do it; it's crazy expensive no matter what the engine is! That's just not my style anyway, I'm much more of a diy'er.
    That's a sweet 80 btw!

5. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

My current truck is a 2011 F150 with the 5.0 "Coyote" Aluminum V8. I installed: a hidden Warn winch, Hellwig rear sway bar, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, Alpine Amp and four MB Quart speakers, Large screen Garmin NAV unit with backup camera, folding bed step, BAK folding bed cover, LED Headlights and Fogs, 3X3 inch Cree backup lights cut into the bumper. Still looks pretty good after 88,000 miles. This truck is fast, handles well and easily does what I need it to do. I will be installing leather seats this Spring.
    [​IMG]

7. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

@tcc Thought you might enjoy these. I went to the Great Smoky Mountain Trail Ride this past weekend at Wind Rock Park in east Tennessee and got plenty of pics of Cruisers. It's in May every year, you should try and make it next year, it's worth just to see all the Land Cruisers. Wind Rock has 72,000 acres and 350 miles of trails, anything from gravel roads to extreme rock crawling trails. It starts on a Sunday and goes till the next Sunday. I only made it Friday but next year I'm going to stay 4 or 5 days. You can tent camp or rent a cabin, it's a blast.

Here's a few pics of my 100 series
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tcc and stevena198301 like this.
  8. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

This was my favorite, 1990 76 series Land Cruiser truck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

Some random pics, lots of 40 series there
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a nice one. This guy's dad bought this one brand new and he searched till he tracked it down again
    [​IMG]

10. 10ga

10ga Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last one
    [​IMG]