Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Potential freeze up

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by fowlwhacker, Dec 26, 2017.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

The weather forecast for the next week looks like most water ways may freeze up.

Been primarily spending my time duck hunting with my Lab pup when I have been able to go hunting thus far but now may have to settle for a heated goose pit for my next trip out.

Hoping some birds show up in the marsh behind the house that has a spring fed creek that normally stays open. Despite how small the creek is and floods portions of the timber and swamp a lot of mallards and geese use it when the nearby river, creeks and ponds freeze.

Any predictions when the river will start to freeze?

2. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

There wil b ice n skim ice in a lot of places by fri. I don’t kno about the bigger water as it’s supposed to b pretty windy a few days. The marshes will deff b iced up Thur or fri which is what I’m shooting for. All my best hunts involve ice. Key is to freeze up to concentrate the ducks. Then it b hard enough to bust holes n ice not flow grabbing decoys. I’m planning on killing em Thur fri sat. With some evening deer mixed in.

3. berettafan

berettafan Elite Refuge Member

saw skim ice this morning. if it stays this cold we will be froze out by early next week.

4. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Looking at the reflection on my pier light in Stoney creek. I will have ice here in the am. It’s a 50/50. Wind limits where u can hunt but if it stops like it has tonight you won’t b able to get anywhere.

5. Bob_C

Bob_C Refuge Member

This was Thurs, temps being what they have been don't think it gotten any better.

Attached Files:

6. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

the Corsica river was froze across to the mouth today at noon. the chester mid bay was just about froze across but opened up in the afternoon with the biting winds. Plenty warm this morning after putting out the decoys. Knew it wasn't going to long before we cooled down and felt the effects of the cold and wind. A little more windy than I had expected. Most everything was okay with the clothing, fleece neck gaitor, fleece ear muffs, etc except for my toes. My buddy said his toes were the first to start. He quickly grabbed some small heat warmers and proceeded to pull his boots off in the blind and stuff a heat warmer in the toe area and pull them back on and start doing the texas two step in the blind for several minutes. I asked if they were working. he said yes but the right one was all messed up in his boot and the left was just right. after 10 more minutes of toes cold, I loaded up my boots with a heat warmer in each and it definitely helped. we opted to not hunt the warm pit to get closer to the birds and subjected ourselves to some cold winds an aframe. had a buddy heater that helped a bit to keep my diet pepsies from freezing but it didn't do much more to keep the heat in.