Potty Training Help

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by lovetohunt, Jan 29, 2018.

1. lovetohunt

lovetohunt New Member

My family got a lab puppy right before Christmas (8 weeks old). We have been working since then to get him potty trained. He does well in the kennel at night/day. When he is running around inside we are hit and miss. He will go when you take him outside, but you have to make him. Seems like it hasn't clicked yet to go do the door to go outside so he can go to the bathroom. We don't leave him unsupervised while he is inside with us. We limit his water intake and he will go to the door and ring the bell to go outside to drink out of the outside water bowl. We praise him when he does go outside and goes potty. Just wondering if there is something we should be doing different or if we are just right on course with him and it takes more time.

2. JimG

JimG Elite Refuge Member

Doesn't matter if it's a hurricane.....he comes out of the crate and you carry him to the door, ring the bell with his NOSE (less scratching on the paint (great trick) and go outside with him.... I don't recall my Barkley ever going inside when he was a pup..... Out of the crate, outside. Bring him in and feed him, back outside.... pain in the butt, but gotta do it....

3. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

When I brought my chessie home at that age I put an egg timer on the counter, 15min we went out all day long. I started carrying him from kennel to outside in the mornings, took him out in the middle of the night as well. As he got older I increased the amount of time between bathroom breaks and always used the same command when he went, rewarded him etc. I think he was pretty much house trained at 6months or so