Potty Training Issue

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Triple BB, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Triple BB

Triple BB Elite Refuge Member

We picked up a new yellow lab pup that was 10 weeks old. The breeder pretty much had her potty trained which my wife greatly appreciated. She understands the word and goes outside in the grass with no issues. I have an area under a deck where our previous dogs have always gone. We put the new pup under there and tell her to go potty and she refuses. She'll set in there and whimper if we leave her, but she won't go. As soon as we bring her out in the grass, she goes. I've grabbed her in mid stream or dump numerous times and put her under the deck and she'll hold it.

Any suggestions on how to convince a 12 week old pup to go under the deck. This is a 6' tall deck and I've even laid grass clippings in one area to no avail.

2. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

She's 10/now 12 weeks old...............just away from everything she's known...................and you expect perfection instantly?????

Time, teaching, love, etc................she ain't no robot.

3. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Um, why would you want her to go under the deck? :scratch Any thing wrong with her going in the grass?

4. Luv2Decoy

Luv2Decoy Senior Refuge Member

Out here in the dry west the dog urine kills our grass:dv

5. Triple BB

Triple BB Elite Refuge Member

True story with the grass...

I dug a large hole about 4 1/2' deep under the deck and filled it with small river rock. Then I put red flagstone on top of that. A sprinkler head hits the area every time the water comes on. Basically its a small leech field for the pee. That was 20 years ago. No smell and no issues picking up poop.