Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

power dredging for clams in front of blind

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by fowlwhacker, Dec 30, 2016.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

so my morning hunt started off with a commercial boat headed directly towards are water blind around 7am. my daughter and i couldn't believe the direct path the waterman was making towards are blind. he stops around 125 yards directly in front of our blind and proceeds to dredge. definitely a saftey issue if something was dumb enough to decoy in and for us to choot although when talking with a couple friends about this they said they would've chot even if a ruddy or bufflehead would've come in and wouldn't of gave a **** of the boat or persons on the boat got sprayed. as frustrated as we were we hoped he would slowly move away and we may get an opportunity later thinking we had good fowl weather and a good wind at our back. as he slowly moved south of us we hoped our luck would change. that was not the case as the boat did a 180 tuen and proceeded to come back and forth in front of us for 2 plus hours. he finally left and within a couple of minutes we finally had birds come in and ended before noon with a nice mixed bag.

i was curious about the regs and when looking at the dnr site for commercial dredging the regs appeared to show the season was closed. i call the dnr today to confirm and they said the season was open and the commercial dates on the web site were wrong. they also said the regs requied a waterman power dredging to be 1000 feet from an occupied with decoys and said if we had any more issues that they would be willing to come out. he said the reg is 4-1037(2) if any of you find yourself in this position. i told them i would be concerned about having our blinds burned down or having them bait the waters near our blind and make a call about baiting. he laughed and said you have a valid concern.

2. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

You don't understand, he makes a living from the bay so he has more right to it than anyone else. You were in the wrong here. /s

3. Duckshot69

Duckshot69 Elite Refuge Member

No

4. Ruination

Yes?

5. Duckshot69

Being Terry was there first that waterman must stay legal distance from him . Give him one warning and tell him you are there verbal and then its official . If he ignores this it then becomes hunter harassment .

I had some democrat clown roll up on us today and start taking pictures of our spread . I paddled up to him told him we were there and he was nice about it and left . I was also nice . Now if he refused to leave different story .

6. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

Take good note of the boat name and find where it is kept. Then i hear the best way of dealing with watermen that play with fire is to stretch several pieces of monofiliament on the dock to get in thier boat. Also hear that sugar is good for engines. Just saying that I thought i read that is field and stream or Wildfowl or somthing.

7. Ruination

That "/s" stands for sarcasm.

8. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

lets just say i saw the boat name and my buddy knows where he lives. as i said, i respect the waterman and know they are out there to make a living but feel it was common to be setup 125 to 140 yards directly in front of us and just when i thought he was leaving he circled back 10 to 12 times. now that i know the regs i will have a nice polite discussion if he sets up directly in front of me again that close. i hope it doesn't happen again and if it does i hope it ends well and doesn't tuen into a pizzing battle. more worried about having the blinds burned down or baiting but if it does we know where he lives. it is a small world at times.

9. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Their was or is an old Regulation on the books; not in the 10-600 series covering waterfowl hunting regulations, maybe it was 10-400? Commercial and Rec Fishermen Not permitted to "fish" within 500 yards of a licensed blind site (Off-Shore Hunting). While this Rec was established some 40 or 50 years ago prior to the Blind Site Committee that was formed in the late 1990's. The 500 yard regulation still remained on the books the last time I ran across it doing some research maybe 10 years ago on another matter but it might have been amended.

10. Duckshot69

Ahhh got ya . Never seen that before or used that way . I was thinking " Did that guy seriously just say that ?" My bad

woodsie likes this.