Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

power dredging for clams in front of blind

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by fowlwhacker, Dec 30, 2016.

1. oysterfarmer

oysterfarmer New Member

Clammers have areas they work on regular basis its unfortunate that he was working the area you were hunting . He found a bed of clams is the reason for circleing in the same area .

2. Ruination

Ruination Senior Refuge Member

It's not unfortunate. It's illegal. Also it's amazing how a new account always shows up to defend some guys.

mrsteve likes this.
  3. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Its unfortunate!

Its illegal if the blind is occupied, and I'm not sure the dredger knew the blind was occupied or if anyone could prove he knew it was occupied. Now if you approach them next time and theres an issue, than I believe you have to do what you have to do.

4. oysterfarmer

oysterfarmer New Member

I'm not defending . Just trying to clarify why he was in same area going back in forth .

5. Ruination

150 yards, he can read the name of the boat, no way he cant see dekes. Ignorance is no defense, guy is by a blind it's his responsibility to do due diligence.

6. carolina girl

Was he looking for dekes or ducks for that matter? Not everyone thinks like the "ole Holy" duck hunter.

Have you ever been on or more so, operated a dredge? If you haven't, I think its ignorant of you to determine the captain has time to sip coffee and take in the scenery.

Due diligence, imo, falls on perhaps both of them.....not being there to witness the event myself. I would of driven over there and tried talking to the captain.

7. Ruination

Just try telling the officer next time you didn't see the stop sign or speed limit sign. That is sure to work.

8. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I used to have this issue with scallop guys, I simply would roll out and say I'm hunting till X time, you mind giving me some room and I won't be here tomorrow.

Bass fisherman,whistle and then maybe a warning shot, though I'm really really really tempted everytime to roll out there, run circles around the boat and say "what's matter can't fish with me doing this?"

TDB duckin and bird junkie like this.
  9. carolina girl

Doesn't even make sense....lol

Look, this guy (or girl) was just out there trying to make a living. Sorry it interfered with someone who was not. Thank god, the op here has a cooler head than you. It appears by your post, your just an anti commercial fisheries person and nothing no one can do will change that. I respect your view, but your simply wrong here imo. We just agree to disagree.

Me, personally, I wouldn't even of care about duck hunting. Id of went out there and made a razor clam connection for the upcoming summer.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  10. joe117

joe117 Elite Refuge Member

Commercial owns the water..... Didn't you know that?