Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

PowerTech Prop Options for 25 hp 2-strokes

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by In Close, Sep 9, 2008.

1. In Close

In Close Elite Refuge Member

As Far As I Can Get From Skybusters & Spinners & V
    For all of those that run a 15'-16' aluminum mod-v powered by any of the various brands of 25 hp 2-stroke motors and have replaced the factory or another prop, what model PT or other prop and what pitch are you running.

I'd like to know what kind of performance gain, or loss, that you experienced. What pitch & model did you start with and what pitch & model performed the best for you. I am running a 25 hp Yamaha 2-stroke and would like to know what would be the best model of PT (ILB3, REB3, SLC3, SLR3, SRA3, SRN3, SRS3, TLR3) or any other brand & model. And does anyone know if all these models are available to fit a Yamaha? I figure a 12 pitch is the most common and that is the way I'm leaning.

2. RETRO

RETRO Elite Refuge Member

I ran a 13 pitch on a Mercury 25

3. DoubleDs

DoubleDs Senior Refuge Member

In Close, I run a 16' foot War Eagle with a 40 hp 2-stroke Mercury. Not sure how this translates to your 25 hp, but I run a 13 pitch as I think that it gives a good balance of low-end torque and hole shot as well as top-end speed. My boat will push 40 mph on the GPS with just me in it. One thing that is very import, and you probably already know this, get a stainless steel prop only! You don't want the flex that comes with an aluminum prop and you'll need the durability of SS hunting the Arkansas flooded timber.

4. skybroom

skybroom Elite Refuge Member

I dont' remember which model I have, but I have a PT 11P stainless on my 25 Yammie on a 16ft Lowe.

I can't say the stainless gives much better performance since it's kind of a dog when loaded down with hunting gear, but the durability is outstanding.

5. sunny b

sunny b Elite Refuge Member

i ran a 13p PowerTech stainless prop on my merc 25 for a few years. it ran 31mph with 2 200# men and gear in the ouachita river on a 15' war eagle. the only thing i have to compare it to is the cast that came on it. 12p and it ran about 28mph, but came out of the hole a little better. i am no expert at all though.......... i don't even know the model of it..............on the other hand i am now running a 12p solas stainless on my little yammie 25. now that prop SUCKS bad......

6. brightlights

brightlights Senior Refuge Member

Speak with their sales and customer service dept. They will guide you trough and give you good advise.

7. MD Duckbuster

MD Duckbuster Senior Refuge Member

I ran an ILB3 (10" diameter, 11" pitch) on my16' Triton with 4-stroke Yamaha for a few months. I am really loaded with 3 guys, dog & gear and it didn't really work for me. I'm back to an aluminum with less pitch.

But the prop is in great shape and I'll sell it for $75. PM if interested.

8. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Their REB series has been the best all around PowerTechs we have found. Use them for sveral different applications.
    D

9. In Close

In Close Elite Refuge Member

As Far As I Can Get From Skybusters & Spinners & V
    Thanks to all that have responded. Keep the info coming if there is any more input.

Danny, are you saying all the PT props for the 25 hp motors fit each brand? Even though the description states they are good for a certain brand motor?

Thought that would be the best place to start but I didn't get all my questions answered; and I think I gave them plenty if not more info than most customers. Really didn't like the comment that I would likely not get the best prop on the first try. I understand that to a point, but I do not have the money nor the want to buy multiple $200-$400 props to find one that performs best...which will end up being the only one I run.

10. Fakout

Fakout Elite Refuge Member

In Close,

I had a 12 Pitch on my old 25 Merc. from PowerTech and it was a great prop. Danny has had alot of experience with the props and the company, follow his advice.:tu