Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

PowerTech Prop Options for 25 hp 2-strokes

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by In Close, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ScavengerMan

ScavengerMan Senior Refuge Member

Gosh Danny, don't have a tach. Speed with two heavy adults and moderate load is 28.5 MPH. The problem is if you strap a layout boat accross the gunwhale and add four dozen heavy burlap decoys plus guns, etc., she wont quite get on step. I have no problem changing props whenever the situation calls for it. So a special prop for those days with an extreme load might be called for. In that case would it be best to go with specialized slow pitch aluminum for super heavy load and a premium stainless for better overall performance with a typical moderate load in fishing situations? Or, is there a stainless version that would cover the gambit as described above with top end as a secondary consideration?

2. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Sponsor Moderator

If you go with a stainless, go to a 10 pitch, if you go with another aluminum, 11 pitch. These would be for a heavy load.
    D

3. ScavengerMan

Thanks. What do you think of Stiletto Triad 1 stainless props Danny? I can get them reasonable enough price wise that both a 10 and 13 pitch stainless is affordable. They are slightly larger at 10 1/8" diameter.

4. 1995 US1

I must plead ignorance about Stiletto Triad props for small outboards. I have experimented with a few Stiletto props for larger boats, none for small outboards. The look similar to Turbo Props.
    D

5. In Close

In Close Elite Refuge Member

As Far As I Can Get From Skybusters & Spinners & V
    Scavenger, I am pleased with this prop. Better in every aspect than the aluminum, picked up 1-1.5 mph plus the SS durability; only cost me 100 rpm. I went from 11.25" (aluminum) to 12" pitch.

US1, added some hook today. Made a world of difference, but I'm still bouncing in the last 5 mph, but not quite as bad. I would say I didn't add much...there is some kind of support in the floor of my boat right where the crown should be. So I did what I could; didn't want to get carried away on my first attempt. Took me a couple hours laying on my back. I chose the JLA method of dragging it off the trailer a few feet. I probably won't be able to raise my arms tomorrow (from swinging a 3 lbs sledge over head), but the hook that I did add was/is well worth the time a effort.

To get the bounce out of it totally, should I add more hook or is it possible that the boat will have some in it forever?

6. ScavengerMan

Thanks In Close, Stiletto is the brand I've decided to go with. Pretty sure I will need two different pitches, one for general use and one for those times when the boat gets loaded to the gills duck hunting.

7. GEARDOWN

GEARDOWN Elite Refuge Member

I'm supposed to have a Stiletto Triad I in the mail as we speak. It's basically a Turbo, hell, she could actually talk across the room to the lady handling the Turbo accounts. FYI, turbo is out of the small engine props if you're looking to order.

8. 1995 US1

In close. If you have a set of ramps, back your trailer onto the ramps, gives you a bit more room to swing the hammer. I would try to add a touch more hook.
    D

9. Fakout

Fakout Elite Refuge Member

Most performance boat companies like Fountain, Skater, etc. etc. make all of their hulls with a step in them to ventilate the hull. I wander if any aluminum boat company will ever try this???

10. 1995 US1

Steve: The fastest aluminum hulls are the Xpress Hyperlift hulls. They have a pad under them, just like a high performance bass boat. They are not practical for our use down here, they require much deeper water to take off. They will fly on top end once they get up on the pad. As for building an aluminum boat with a "step" hull, that would raise the cost of construction so high, no one could afford the boat.
    D