Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

PowerTech Prop Options for 25 hp 2-strokes

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by In Close, Sep 9, 2008.

1. mrdancer

mrdancer Senior Refuge Member

This is a good link for a primer on prop basics
    http://sites.mercurymarine.com/port...26_49291:126_49299&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Personally, I like Baumann props. I had a Merc Trophy Plus 17p four-blade on my Merc 115hp tunnel hull but could only get 5400rpms. Swapped in a Baumann Blaster 3M13 (13p 3-blade) and holeshot improved tremendously as well as top speed, and I can just barely hit the rev limiter at 6400 if I jack and trim her waaaay up. I run with the prop shaft even with the bottom of the boat, so I can get up on plane in 8 inches of water with a 26-foot boat.

2. JLA

JLA Elite Refuge Member

The ramps are a good idea US1, I put the tounge of the trailer on the ground to get a little more room, not hard to pick up with the boat slid back on the trailer.

3. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Sponsor Moderator

JLA: I have done enough of them to seek the easiest method. Lazy is the mother of invention.
    mrdancer: ANY 13 pitch will outshoot a 17 pitch. It is just hard for me to imagine running a 13 pitch on a 115hp motor. It must have tons of cup:confused:
    D

4. mrdancer

Yep, it does have a ton of cup - they make these props for the flats boats along the TX coast.

13p does seem low, but this is a big heavy boat. I tried a Baumann 15p Blaster 3-blade first. Again, holeshot was WAAAAYYYY better than the 17p Trophy Plus 4-blade, but I could still only max out at 5400rpm. Dropping to a 13p in the same prop let me touch the 6400rpm max on the motor. I also did try a smaller diameter 3-blade 13p from Baumann - it worked well, but I could hit 6400rpm pretty easily with the jackplate all the way down. I wasn't looking for speed so much, but rather the ability to get up on plane in shallow water.

5. 1995 US1

Which Merc 115 are you running?
    D

6. mrdancer

7. 1995 US1

That makes sense to me now. The 2 stoke 115 horsepower curve drops like a rock at high rpm. Don't those 4 strokes sound sweet when they hit that 6000 rpm mark. Mine starts to sound like a chevy big block. Just a low rumble, sweeeeet.
    D

8. In Close

In Close Elite Refuge Member

As Far As I Can Get From Skybusters & Spinners & V
    The ramps were the first thing I thought of when I decided to leave it on the trailer, but I don't have any. And my rig has to stay hitched to the truck or the tongue flies straight up when the boat is drug off a few feet. So I just used a floor jack to raise the side I was working on. Worked out OK. Used the wheeler to drag the boat back.

Funny you mention the big block chevrolet. I was thinking the other day that my 25 2 cylinder Yamaha running against the 3-cylinder Suzuki DT25's is like a 327-350 c.i. small block trying to run with the big block 427-454 c.i. I'll have to turn more rpm's to compete, speed wise. Bad thing is I'm running it on a bigger/heavier boat than most of the Suzuki's. Like a small bock in a 65 Chevelle running against a big block in a 62 Nova.:yes

9. Yammy30

Yammy30 New Member

40 mph with a Yamaha 25?

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I didn't read each and every post, but if it hasn't been mentioned, be careful when going SS. If you're having to fix/straighten an aluminum prop often, you're maybe going at it a little too hard. That SS prop may cause you to bust up your lower unit, as it's gonna be as strong or stronger than the shaft and other components. I was warned long ago about small motors and SS props. Not saying you can't or shouldn't. Just be mindful it won't be as forgiving on your lower unit as an aluminum one.