Practice Target for Cheapskates Like Me!

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by widgeon, Jul 2, 2017.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I've been wanting a target to start practicing shooting. I looked around and found out the good ones are pretty pricy, so I decided to build my own. Started saving cardboard boxes and then I ran across a good idea on the World Wide Web!

Went to the closest thrift store and found a big suitcase (fabric covered). Mine was a big samsonite. (The sad part is it's in better shape than my own luggage). Then I packed it full of throw pillows that were 50 cents each. Mine held about 8 and I picked the densest ones.

All totaled up to less than 7 bucks.

It works Great! and it's got wheels on the bottom! Arrows dont even penetrate the far side and are easy to pull out.

WoodieSC likes this.
  2. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

That's a clever do-it-yourself target idea. I've used feed bags with sand in the bottom and then stuffed it with clothes. The sand added enough weight that it wouldn't tip over. But the suitcase/pillow combination is genius.

For broadheads, fill a cardboard box with sand and see if that works for you.

widgeon likes this.
  3. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

I'm a farmer so the common round bale of hay and paper plates are hard to beat.

4. widgeon

Well, nothing beats a bale of hay when you can make you'r own.

5. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

I normally shoot into hills or from an elevate positions and shoot at tennis balls. I throw them out so they yardage is always varying just like the deer that show up. But I use wood arrows with concentric rings from shoots and shoot instinctive. I don't need to worry about cracking arrows like carbons.

My daughter hates how I can estimate yardage to with in a yard or two and she needs a range finder. I tell her if you never put that range finder down you'll never gain the same talent. ;)

Sunklands and widgeon like this.
  6. widgeon

The best part about having a cheap target I can shoot indoors is I can sit in my basement, in the ac, even at night, and put ten shots into it anytime I have a couple minutes..

For some reason I have a real hard time drawing my bow from a sitting position. I've improved a lot since I started shooting in the basement.

7. Sunklands

I'm with you man!! When I switched from a bow with training wheels to longbows and recurves, it was the best thing that ever happened to me in all my years of hunting. No sights, no rest, no release aid, just me and the arrow.

8. Sunklands

IMG_2529.JPG IMG_2530.JPG IMG_2686.JPG
    What is your set up? These pics are all from one day and the same stand.

take'm and Archeryrob like this.
  9. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

My current bow and arrow setup is here on my blog. I have an Osage reflex/deflex bow I made that is 47" tip to tip. I was shooting for a plains bow and while it was boiling to bend I started thinking with recurved tips it would draw farther and with deflexed mid section it wouldn't take any set. It probably only has at 5# of stress on it strung and draw 55# at 26"

I didn't kill anything with it last year. My daughter was after he first buck and the buck she wanted walked full broadside fo my the first day I went out at 4 yards. :cry I let him go and quit until smoke pole season. She still never sealed the deal on him, she can't leave that damn phone alone and the deer spot her.

widgeon likes this.
  10. widgeon

My Brother did the same thing! Let a BIG 8 pt walk up on him. He won't admit it but is always texting.