Preferred turkey vest

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Semper Fiduckis, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Have a vintage Cabelas mesh turkey hunting vest. Came with the seat pad, which I do not use, since the ground here is usually wet and a small seat (Primos Q3 stool) works better. The usually warm/hot weather is the reason for the mesh and it has been very resistant and no tears or rips, the rear game bag has held a turkey and decoy together just fine along with canteen and miscellaneous items. Plenty of pockets. They probably don't make it any more but it is where I'd look next, and there are vendors like Wing Supply that many times discount these vests.

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

With all the gear and water loaded? Not bad.

3. Birdsnspurs

Birdsnspurs Refuge Member

I'm sorry thought you meant bare vest. Add about 2lb to each number and that's my vest weight loaded. I don't use decoy just carry calls and water

4. bill cooksey

Still nice and light. Like you, I don't carry a lot of stuff. Try to keep loaded vest in the 3-4 pound range. I've hunted with folks who had at least 20 pounds in their vest.

5. Birdsnspurs

Birdsnspurs Refuge Member

20lb? That's nuts and not fun at all. That's why I carry a 28ga loaded w tss so don't Half to lug a heavy gun.

6. bill cooksey

Some feel they need to stuff every pocket of their elaborate vest, fill up a big water bladder to capacity and carry every decoy that'll fit in the back.

7. J. Plate

J. Plate Elite Refuge Member

Recently purchased an Ol' Tom Time and Motion I-Beam 2.0. As far as storage it's great. The seat and back pads are thick and comfortable for long sits.

That being said, what I consider one of the most important things I bring with me now is this:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossy-Oak-Turkey-Thugs-Turkey-Hunting-Chair/48745220

I don't like to carry a lot of extra stuff.... but for $15 and what little it weighs, it's totally worth it, IMO.

8. bill cooksey

I understand why many like cushions or chairs. I've hunted that way and may again. ..someday. Right now, the first thing I do with a new vest is remove the cushion. I don't sit 30 minutes, and 50% of my birds I don't sit at all.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am a small guy, and have had issues finding a vest that fits...

I do not like the "kickstand" type vests (vests with bipod back rest) as it is cumbersome and a pain for someone that likes to be mobile.

I purchased the Cabela's Tat'r vest last year on sale, and would purchase another. It fits well, and even in the small size, the game bag is ample to carry a bird out... Lot's of guys like to sling a bird over the shoulder, but I have found the game bag a much more comfortable way to carry a bird a long distance (especially up steep terrain).

The Tat'r is well organized, and seems sturdy enough to me, and is comfortable to wear... I used mine about 12 times last season, and it still appears as new. The seat cushion is comfortable, but frankly the only time I use it, is in the morning when there is a lot of dew and moisture on the ground (simply to keep my butt dry); even with my boney butt, I do not find the ground so terribly uncomfortable to sit on.

If you are not going to move around a lot, and want comfort, get a turkey chair...

One thing I have done in recent years to improve my comfort level, is to find a tree or spot to sit with a rock or fallen log to lay my gun across. Not having that gun propped up on my knee for extended periods is far more comfortable (on my knee and my back and shoulders). Also the log or rock helps to conceal me better and allows me to use a friction call without getting "busted." Granted, if you are hunting with a partner finding such a spot in a good location and big enough for two hunters is considerably more difficult (I am generally a loner when I turkey hunt).

Semper Fiduckis likes this.