Preparing a Goose for Training

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Doc E, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Tollwest

Tollwest Refuge Member

But why waste some perfectly good meat? Goose breasts make a good-sized meal that I would rather not let go to waste! Hopefully we are hunting for more than just the chance to kill something?

2. TroyFeeken

TroyFeeken Senior Refuge Member

I echo the keeping the bird whole. By removing the breasts and the innards you're removing almost 5lbs of weight which is why most dogs aren't able to handle a big bird correctly. If you're only shooting geese over water, no worries, even little dogs can push a big goose back to shore. In a field set up with a dog needing to carry a cripple back 100 plus yards, the comfort with handling the weight is essential to a good retrieve.

3. ghak99

ghak99 Elite Refuge Member

Please post back up after you've experienced meeting one of our governments finest federal opossum cops while in the field training with your wild birds. I've yet to meet one with a sense of humor or an ink pen that won't write.

I'm not even sure the local frog men would let it fly here without giving you the privilege of signing your autograph to their paper work.

Legal?.....I don't know. Worth the hassle.....Not for me.

4. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

All it took with my BLM after I shot the first goose over him was to do an "on the spot refresher course in FF"!!!! I sent him for the bird, (twas on water) and he balked at retrieving it. There was no problems with ducks and smaller birds prior. So I waded into the water encouraged him the whole way back while he was swimming/retrieving the bird. After we got back to our blind, I left my hunting partners and did a quick 5 minute FF refresher course with him with the shot goose. Now, 4 years later, he tackles geese now. Y'all need to see him after a cripple on land!!!!:bow:cool:

5. Susie

Susie Elite Refuge Member

Wonder what one of them government federal opossum cops would do/think if they caught ya training with a wild bird that had been dissected and stitched up?

Use to live in MO regards :dv

6. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Illegal as Hell --- can you say "wanton waste of game" :sp

Even leaving the thighs and drumsticks on is cutting it close.

7. Doc E

It is not the weight that the dog has to learn to handle -- the dog has to learn where and how to take ahold of something the size of a big goose.
    That's why a breasted out - gutted goose works so well (and it'll still weigh plenty enough).

8. NorIDhunter

NorIDhunter Elite Refuge Member

Fwiw, for the dogs that are having a problem with geese, it's a great intermediate step between a Dokken and the real thing. Approx weight of the rubber bird but with all the dims, smell & real feel (feathers, bones etc).

And by making the effort to avoid "wasted game" while attempting to avoid possible further instances, I'd have to think that most "reasonable" wildlife officers would recognize & appreciate the work.

9. Doc E

Most all Game Wardens are also hunters and realize that certain parts of birds are seldom eaten and usually go out with the garbage -- except for the thighs (which you can also remove if ya want) using a dissected bird with the edible parts removed would not be considered as a "wanton waste of game"....
    Particularly with the "a trained retriever conserves game" arguement.

10. Steve Peacock

Steve Peacock Senior Refuge Member

So is your method. At least where I'm at. You could get a game breeders license and band the bird and use though. My initial post was really meant more as a joke. I use a goose Dokken with saved goose wings. Around here, to use wild game you must have a game breeders band or a clipped toenail.