Preparing a Goose for Training

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Doc E, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

How long it lasts depends on how much you use it.
    Yes, it needs to be kept frozen.

2. Doc E

I just got this PM (another forum) concerning this method :

Hello Doc E.

Just a quick thank you for the link to photos of breasted and trussing a goose. When I was done, my husband told me I should have been a surgeon! Best news of all is that it did the trick as far as making it a bit easier for the problem pup to pick up the bird. In a weeks time he was retrieving geese. I can't tell you how happy my hunting buddy is with his pups progress. I appreciate you sending the link.

Thanks again,
    XxxxxX

3. TRAVFIRE

TRAVFIRE Senior Refuge Member

Great idea. Thanks.

4. oldschool

oldschool Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, it's where to grab the goose that they have to learn. My yellow male is not a big dog, 70 lbs. We don't kill a log of geese where I hunt, but we always manage to get 3-5/year. The first one I sent him after, he kept swimming around it, finally just grabbed a wing and wrestled it back to the dog ramp. At that point, he couldn't pick the thing up and walk up the ramp without stepping on it so he just jumped over it, turned around, grabbed a wing and backed up the ramp with him. There were two more waiting on him and he went back to get the second one. This time he just pushed him with his nose like a barge back to the ramp and repeated the process, same with the third. Over the years, he's learned how to pick one up and I'm sure that some specific training would speed that process up for any dog. Trouble is, with no more of them than we kill every year, I've never thought it was worth the investment in time. If we killed more geese than we do, most definitely.

5. Illini Coot Killr

Illini Coot Killr Senior Refuge Member

The federal regulation dealing with wanton waste makes it illegal to leave birds in the field without making a reasonable effort to reduce them to possession. After that, if you wish, you can take them home and throw them in the trash.

Some states do have have tougher regulations.

Back when I was bird poor I did the sewing job on many mallards so my dogs would have something besides plastic to retrieve in the off season.

Retired Game Warden Regards.

6. goosehuntermp

goosehuntermp Senior Refuge Member

I made one this past weekend. I may have missed it in your initial post...but I also gutted mine, along with breasting it. I'll break it out of the freezer soon.

7. duckdon

duckdon Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Doc. I have seen your post before. I do the same thing with ducks at are saved for training. Duckdon

8. Doc E

Goosehntr -- Yes, you need to gut 'em.

Duckdon

It works very well with ducks too.

9. bandcollector

bandcollector Elite Refuge Member

Breasted birds and duct tape are a lot easier.

10. Doc E

It's certainly easier, but it does NOT teach a dog where NOT to take ahold of a goose.
    Many dogs will want to pick the bird up by the breast --- and end up with a mouthfull of feathers. Dogs need to learn where and where not to grasp a bird. Duct tape prevents the dog from learning where not to pick up a bird.