Preparing Browntop millet dove field questions

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by ericDC, Aug 13, 2008.

1. ericDC

ericDC Elite Refuge Member

Believe it or not, I do want to invite you on a hunt but I would like to make it at least close to equal as the duck hunt in Sabine was...and I don't know if we are going to have that many doves. :eek:

the field is behind my parents back yard. heh. It will be convenient though for bathroom breaks, drinks, and food. :D

2. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

LOL, no worries man, I just funnin ya.

3. ericDC

Would you be interested in coming up here to NELA for some flooded green timber hunting this winter IF we have water?

4. knees

knees Elite Refuge Member

We did browntop last year with decent success (our top sown wheat was even more productive). Anyway, we started out mowing strips about 3 weeks prior, then about 1 week prior we mowed it all and burned it. Result: nice and clean with LOTS of exposed seed. It held birds all season (we shot them hard opening day and then let it rest a week).

The 2 big advantages to burning are clean fields (as mentioned above, the cleaner the better) AND it effectively kills the volunteer germination.

5. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

Nah, too far to go. No worries man, you don't owe me anything. I took you hunting because I wanted to, not because I expected a hunt in trade.

6. ericDC

I know. I don't feel that I owe you anything, that's just how I am. The offer is on the table as they say.

this is gettin all sappy:z

7. Happy First Timer

Happy First Timer Elite Refuge Member

As someone mentioned above, BURN IT! All the reasons stated above are totally accurate. You will have enough seed to hold the birds all season. THe most important aspect is the fact that it will not germinate when it get's rained on. The heat from the fire will cause the seed to be sterile.:tu

8. ericDC

Guess we will try to do a little burning labor day weekend if it's dry enough. We've been getting a lot of rain in Louisiana this month.