Pro Drive EFI

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Dan Oby, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Dan Oby

Dan Oby Refuge Member

We just picked up our new Pro Drive 36 with EFI on Friday. We are putting this on a 19X60 Phowler and will have a full boat blind on in a couple weeks. We did get heads and a marshmellow muffler as well for the additional horsepower needed with the size and weight. The EFI idols at a solid smooth 775 rpm and there is no up and down like a carb where you need to feather the throttle once in a while. We had three guys, full cooler, full gas, 60 lbs of anchors and other gear and we hit 27 sustained in the channel of the Mississippi. My biggest thing is not the top end speed, but getting on plane is key to mud motors and this thing pops the Phowler up in close to three boat lengths in deep water and I do believe the new 3 blade prop is helping a bunch. I am hoping that we will get 21-22 fully loaded with hunting gear in deep and I do believe this will happen, but I promise that I will let everyone know.

I was always happy with the Mud Buddy 35 Hyper and wanted an upgrade, but afraid of Sport V. I feel like this will be a solid motor and will keep you abreast as season goes and weather isn't 75 degrees.

Dan O

2. ARguide

ARguide Elite Refuge Member

Very nice! Good choice on the motor. I'd stick with GT or PD. I happen to know a guy (but he is in Louisiana) that can make those PD motors go, go, go! He does some mods and look out!

3. A Wallace

A Wallace Senior Refuge Member

great post, is the 3 blade new for PD?

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Who did the modifications on the motor? Did you get it from Illowa?

5. Dan Oby

Dan Oby Refuge Member

I did get the modifications done at Illowa and to be honest we have bought several boats there and this is the first motor. I have heard nothing but great on service if need be and I hope I never need them!!

This is the Three blade prop and I think it is the ticket for what we want. Gets on plane real quick and holds the load coupled with the power of the motor. This is the first time I really felt like I was driving an outboard when we went to jump on plane. I am very happy so far.

As I stated, I will keep everyone posted as we finish the blind and get fully loaded and run to let you know how the performance is. I know that we could just put all kinds of weight in there, but that isn't the same as fully loaded with decoys and blind where wind becomes a factor.

6. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

Do you still have original muffler? If so would you want to sell it?

7. Favaloro

Favaloro Elite Refuge Member

Where can I get this 3 blade prop? I have a 36hp pro drive with heads roller rockers push rods, marsh mellow muffler and 42 hrs carb. Have it dialed good. But want a 3 blade and cam.

8. gmag10

gmag10 Senior Refuge Member

It is only available for the new Gen 3 lower unit due to the gearing changes. It also has a splined shaft.

Mag10

9. duck nazi

duck nazi Elite Refuge Member

Dan,

How did the new motor perform this season?

10. Koocne

Koocne Senior Refuge Member

Well Dan, Let here it. howd she do will a full blind 3 guys, gear, etc? Im very curious. I run an older model modded PD on a 1854 hull and run a ton of gear. I am in the near market to upgrade and curious to see how she performed.

Im gonna go hit up there demo days this spring to run a few of the new units with a heavy load in them.