Pro Drive EFI

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Dan Oby, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Farmer Floyd

Farmer Floyd Elite Refuge Member

Post up, Dan.

2. Dan Oby

Dan Oby Refuge Member

Sorry guys, haven't been on in a while.

Full blind, 19X60 phowler, 3 guys, dog and full gear at the hype of season and cold weather was 20 mph in deep water. We had one issue with a short in the cowling, but was fixed in two days and ran better than ever. I believe that we had this issue from the start and effected EFI because it was unreal after the fix. We had the 50 below windchill and I had the boat outside for three straight days. The motor fired up unbelievably quick and that was impressive. We have the automatic reverse and late season that was incredible as we used it a lot when we had to motor to de ice decoys or sailed cripple.

All in all it was fantastic and service was great. PM me and I will give you my cell number if you want to talk

3. Koocne

Koocne Senior Refuge Member

Post some pics, so what was the deal with the cowling. I'm trying to figure out how that could make such a big difference. Did phowler fix the motor for ya?

4. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

I was there on the 20th to get my motor. Was that your boat in the shop? I believe one of the guys was talking about a wire harness issue.

5. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Did the guys at the shop have to hook motor up to computor to find the problem, and then reprogram the EFI? Just wondering if you had problem out on the river, if you could fix it with out a computor diagnostic program like they have on cars.

6. Mallardmisser

I was there to p/u a new motor, carb'd version. Scuttlebutt I heard was there have been some wire chafing and ecu programming issues. Minor, but they are working through them. I was told they are on the third flashing of the ecu, I guess the EFI is in need of some fine tuning.

7. Olefart

We work on all different brands of MMs, just wondering if we would have to invest in some diagnostic equipment to trouble shoot motors with EFI. MMs operate in some very unfriendly environment, which is hard on electronics. Wouldn't want to get stranded on swamp if ECU took a crap. IMO

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

For what it's worth, I have owned a Kawasaki EFI engine and it was no prob. Give me a robustly designed electronically controlled device any time. The great thing about such controls is that if performance improvements are developed and there is a gateway, you can re-flash a drive and get the latest and greatest without having to install any new hardware. Cars and machinery are built this way...why not mud motors?

9. Mallardmisser

The same was said about computers on cars 40 years ago....

10. Olefart

Who do you call when motor quits back in the swamp, don't think AAA offers a towing service to get you back to landing.