Pro Drive EFI

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Dan Oby, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

Good responses - 'can definately relate.....
    That's the only way I can own one of these motors.....and 'possible problems' are always in the back of your mind. Though I've progressed up the learning curve to where I can relax a bit, now.
    Same here. Sometimes a text will go/come through. Otherwise, you better have left word with someone (with a rig that can get to you) about where you're going and what time you expect to be back in cell coverage. We're lucky to have 3 people we can call.....but only if we have cell coverage. And as few a ducks as we have on occassion, I may not necessarily WANT people to know where we are. :no

Nice-looking blind, Dan

2. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Whats the worst thing you've, had to fix to get back home? We've replaced starter motors, drive belts, rebuilt and cleaned carberators, removed bent push rods so we could run on one cyclinder, replaced props. Rewired trim units around switch and done most of it while standing knee deep in swamp. If Briggs goes to EFI we may have to invest in a few more parts, like senors, fuelpump, ECU unit, fuel injectors and a lap top with the program to redo ECU. Along with everything else we carry. I like being prepared.

3. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

Nothing like that......I have a Mud Buddy. :D

'Sounds like what you need is a new motor.

4. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Did most of this stuff on other peoples motors, rather than try to drag them out of marsh. Some of these rigs are to big and heavy to tow. They were just lucky we were out in the area. My son and I both run MBs, he has a F4 and a MB7000, bought last summer and I run a MBBD 4500 2013 model. I just matched up upper gear to replace Clutches in these motors incase we need to in marsh. Clutch is weak link in these newer motors. If it goes out we'll just install a gear like the older motors had. I just sold a 2005 MB 35hp with a 48" prop shaft last summer, it had 374 hrs on it. Hope my new one is as reliable as that one was. We've worked on all different brands over the years, and ain't any of them 100% bullet proof. Some just hold up better than others. Found the more tiller time the operator has the less problems they have with their motor, and IMO, operator should be prepared for every situation. They aren't cutting grass in their back yards.

5. Dan Oby

Dan Oby Refuge Member

Well said. These motors can take abuse, but to a certain extent for sure. We had a MB with the mikuni and had virtually zero issues with it, but there was a factory issue with the crank shaft back in 2006. MB covered it and we never looked back. We had a short on our new one, fixed it and I can't see where there would be another issue, but if so, we will get it taken care of. Outboards are typically more reliable, but not asked to do what mud motors are asked to do. Give and take. I will take getting where I need to with a few headaches and killing ducks versus not getting there and watching someone else kill ducks.