Problem Solved

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by FAIRCHASE, Sep 4, 2017.

1. FAIRCHASE

FAIRCHASE Senior Refuge Member

So proud of my four year old yellow lab today. Last year I had a problem with my lab wanting to have me in her eyesight. She was always looking to see where I was and would break if I wasn't. I put this into my training program this last off season. This morning (only the second day out) while hunting a large pond I saw a goose swimming the opposite shoreline. I worked with my call for a long time and it had no interest in coming over to my calls or decoys. She was in a dog blind next to my blind. I gave her a stay command and did a sneak hunt around 3/4 around the pond most of it out of her sight. I shot the goose and the first thing I was thinking there was no way she would stay steady at the shot which she is very good at when I'm with her. She stayed in her blind till I gave her the come whistle. I know she didn't know where I was as she needed a couple more come whistles for her to find me. All the time training does pay off. Thanks for reading this as I had to tell someone who would know how good about it I feel.

Doc E likes this.
  2. JBdogboy

JBdogboy New Member

That's what it's all about. Reminds me of time about 10 years ago my Rooster J he was just under a year I dropped one just out side the decoys and there was a good chop on the water. I sent him out in the middle open pocket when he got outside the decoys I gave him one whistle he stopped turned looked at me and I gave him a over. Boy I still remember it like it was yesterday was just like you see on tv shows. He made me so proud that day and many more. God I miss him so 2nd of Feb. was a year. I just hope there is such a place as rainbow bridge and he's running having a good old time and every once in a while he looks for me. I truly miss that big polar bear he was almost all white not yellow.

Hogleg likes this.