Problem with beaver tail blind

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Irish eyes, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

I bought a beaver tail blind for my boat and loved it at first. When I hunt scoter I just put out the scoter rig on the starboard side of the boat and shoot over the starboard side of the boat. The pop up squares in the top of the blind make it easy to see over the starboard side and to the rear.your almost blind on the port side of the blind unless you open the top square completely.
    For the regular season I like to put decoys all around the blind but I'd have no visibility toward the port side. I like to put the buffers and some puddlers over there. Now I have to squeeze everybody on one side. It works great as a shore side blind because you only expect birds to come in over water.
    How do other beaver tail users solve the open water problem. Guess I could just fold down one whole square and look out, though I really like the ability to hide so well with the square closed. Just sit with my head pushing a little and peeks out of a one inch slit.

2. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

I put grass mats on the top of my blind to conceal myself alittle better and leave the squares open i hunt big water alot if you add enough around the sides you can leave the top all the way open

3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I do it like Mr. Mallard was describing & I really grass up the top of the blind & a lot of marsh grass around the shooting port holes. It works for us.

Ringbill

4. Irish eyes

Irish eyes Refuge Member

Went out the other day. Put scoter decoys on the starboard side with broadbill on the port. Just left my port hole open so I could monitor the scoter. Only thing out was the top of my camo hat. Birds did not seem to mind.
    We have a mix of birds here and it is a shame not to put out decoys for both classes of birds..I only put out two long lines ,close to each other, without any individuals. Runn out of room in the boat for more decoys.
    I did not put any additional material on the blind. I was shooting open water and I would have if I was set up on the shore.