Progressive Canada Bird Rule Changes to Come???

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by Buzz10, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Buzz10

Buzz10 Senior Refuge Member

From a 3/5 conversation with a Senior Canadian Wildlife biologist hunter comes a few ideas that are being discussed for proposals. Eliminating the wing retention rule for a head. Redefining the meaning of Possession to exclude frozen processed birds. Jerky and sausage from processed birds will be exclued from possession limits. Canada wants more of US hunters to visit and kill more birds. Hunter numbers are decreasing and bird populations are increasing. Food banks for bird donations are being discussed thru out the provinces with further thoughts on more increased limits. Goose populations are an increasing problem with odd month hunting seasons being discussed for resident goose population areas that do not migrate any more.
    Less regulation is their goal to encourage more hunting.
    Many of the our US laws were written almost 100 years ago when migratory bird populations were under pressure from market hunting. Maybe we need to become more progessive for the times!

Goldenhtr and CurrencyTrader like this.
  2. Guzman

Guzman Elite Refuge Member

Awesome! Do you know how big of a pain it is to transport birds back to the states. I feel this is a good move.

furface and Spencer5100 like this.
  3. buzzkill

buzzkill Senior Refuge Member

I agree. That is a pain, but the problem with the wing retention being changed in Canada is that the US still requires it for birds entering the US. Now if only the US would jump on board...

We came back with almost 200 birds once and the US Border patrol checked each and every bird ( wings) and made sure they matched all of our individual bird tally sheets. We spent almost 2 hours at the crossing.

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

The proposal started 2 years ago and is still being kicked around. Earliest implementation is fall of 2019.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environmen...roposals-modernize-regulations/chapter-4.html

This will do nothing for bring birds back into the states other than there would be no possession limits.

Personally, with all the commercial outfitters being busted in Canada and the US, they should remain under the existing tagging rules.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

The U.S. also say no brining back processed birds...i.e. sausage.

6. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

I have never had a problem crossing into the US. If the birds look well taken care of and not just thrown in the back of the truck you should be ok. I am not suggesting you don’t handle your game correctly. Must be my luck however I cross the border multiple times a year.

7. buzzkill

We have made the trip several times. Our birds are processed and individually bagged by the Hudderites. We normally never have problems and glide through. I think they had just undergone training and we were one of the first larger groups to cross so they were eager to show the new guys the process. They really went through everything on that trip, but have never had issues before this or since.

8. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

You mean your birds were dressed with a wing attached and individually bagged.
    Processed under the proposed regulation means removing all the indentifying parts of the bird and freezing or making sausage, jerky ect.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  9. buzzkill

Yep. That's what I meant. Each bird is cleaned with one wing attached, bagged individually and then frozen. The Hudderites make sausage but with the regulations we couldn't have them do it for us.

10. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Unless the U.S.F.W. service changes their rules you won't be able to bring duck/goose sausage back with you. Maybe, and that's a HUGE maybe, if the Canadian rules change the U.S. rules will change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.