Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Pronghorn Hunt

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Duck Wrangler, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Duck Wrangler

Duck Wrangler Senior Refuge Member

I am looking in to going on a hunt for Pronghorn and really don't know where to begin. I am not looking for a B&C; just a respectable buck. I am open to a guide or DIY and not really locked in on a particular state.
    From what I have read, Wyoming has a lot of pronghorn, public land and outfitters. Nebraska seems to have a good number as well.

I am planning to take this trip in 2019, so I have time to apply for tags(if needed).
    Just looking to get started gathering information to make a game plan.

Any ideas, recommendations or experiences are welcomed.

Thanks
    LP

2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

It's not as simple as it used to be.
    Points. Plenty of Wyoming units can be drawn with 1-2 points. But, access is tough. Real tough.
    Plenty of public land rich hunts but nowadays take 4-5 points.
    Plus, Wyoming took a beating this past winter.
    A 3 day guided goat hunt in Wyoming can be had for 1500-2000. Good ones 2500.

3. Duck Wrangler

Thanks blacktail.
    I am open to other states as well; I just started on Wyoming.
    Do you have any guide services you would recommend?

4. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Can't give any advice on antelope outfitters. Just do your homework prior to booking.
    Wyoming will be the cheapest, easiest state to go shoot one.

5. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

My friend is out in Montana right now and shot a real nice Antelope with the bow. Big Sky Outfitters. Thinking about going out there myself

6. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

As blacktail said, Wyoming is more complicated than it used to be with preference points. WY does have lots of public land, but as far as DIY - any area with good antelope and good public access generally takes 4 to 5 points at a minimum, and highly sought tags (e.g., desert tags around Rawlins) generally take 8 to 10 points. Areas that you can draw with 1 or 2 points generally have very limited public access - WGFD does have a lot of Hunter Management Areas that can provide really good hunting on some of these areas (generally limited access via draw first half of the season and unlimited access second half of the season). There's always a chance of drawing a tag on the random draw, but I wouldn't count on it.

Assuming you don't have any points, if you're set on hunting in 2019 I'd recommend finding an outfitter with access to private land in an area you can draw with 1 or 2 points. I've been in AK the last ten years - just moved back to WY - and the outfitters I knew locally have retired, so I'm no help there. But I can tell you there are plenty of nice antelope in areas 44, 45, 43 and 38 around Laramie. My dad outfitted - mostly in 45 - for ten years and always did very well. And those are areas you can likely draw in 2019 if you can find access, but public access is tough. Still a lot of antelope in SE Wyoming - I had enough points as a non-res this year to draw a decent tag and am excited for the opener later this month.

The WGFD hunt planner map is a great resource - shows area boundary and land status with info on each area. Also look at preference point draw odds for areas to see what's realistic in your time frame.
    https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting
    https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds

Cheers,
    Rich

7. Duck Wrangler

Rich,
    Thank you for the information; that's what I needed to know.
    I see on the WGFD site that there are some private landowners in some of the areas that allow hunting. Some ask for a fee, some just for does, is this worth pursuing?
    I do plan to apply for a point this year and next so it will give me more options in 2019.

Thanks again.

8. HunterNWyo

HunterNWyo Senior Refuge Member

It never hurts to ask permission - with HuntOnX maps or something that gives you landowner names, you could track down contact info. But I wouldn't put in for an area solely on the option of landowner permission unless they can give you some certainty that permission will be given when hunting season rolls around. Ranches get sold, subdivided, leased - my dad outfitted on a ranch for many years that just asked a head charge ($/antelope taken), and then one year a month before the season opened the owner leased the ranch to another outfitter who came in and offered big bucks for exclusive guiding rights - and that was that. Find somewhere else to go.

If you're going to DIY on an area with limited access (low points draw) make sure it has options that will guarantee you some land to hunt. Some HMAs are draw only, so if you don't draw a permission slip, you're stuck hunting what little state/BLM land you can access otherwise - 45 is a good example of this. Other areas have HMAs that provide unlimited access later in the season, so at least there you know you'll be able to hunt that land even if you don't draw permission for the early slots. Some areas also have some really nice walk-in areas that provide unlimited access to public lands (and adjoining state/BLM lands not otherwise accessible from public roads). Or again, find an outfitter that has private access and go with that.

9. Duck Wrangler

Rich,
    I appreciate your advice; I'm sure I will have more questions for you as the process continues.

Thanks again
    LP

10. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Pronghorn Guide Service out of Arizona. They got my fiance this nice buck on a 4 point WY draw tag. 2017 IMG950216.jpg IMG_0206.jpg