Prop Thoughts/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Rubberhead, May 22, 2018.

1. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

A new (to me) Key West 186DC (18' 10" double console, double hull) boat with Yamaha F150. I will used the boat for fishing (upto 4 people) in big lakes, big deep rivers, inshore and some nearshore waters and some cruising up to 7 people probably in inshore waters.

Currently the boat has a somewhat beat up Turning Point Aluminum that is a 14¼" x 19" and the boat runs about 5800 RPM at about 44MPH.

Manufacturer's Performance Bulletin has the boat runing 6,100 RPMs and 48.3 MPH with a 14¼" x 18" (diameter x pitch) SS prop.

I am buying a new SS and keeping the PT Propellers guys suggest a 14¼" x 17" SS three-blade or a 14¼" x 15" SS four-blade.

My thoughts are if the Performance Bulletin is close to right then a 17" 3-blade would run above 6300 RPMs which seems too high for WOT so I was thinking of going to a 18" 3-blade exactly like the performance bulletin.

However, the 4-blade is an intriguing idea. Will the extra blade give better "bite" when pushing through deep swells? Will the shallower pitch of a 4-blade give a better hole shot when I'm loaded with upto 7 people for cruising?

Thoughts are needed, welcomed and appreciated.

Manufacturer's Performance Report for this boat/motor...
    http://keywestboatsinc.com/uploads/assets/file/warranty/a2a952d83d0350e139a4c5173f4f9835.pdf

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

They probably suggest that because it sounds like you're loading this thing up heavy, thus the fact that with just you it may it 6300 rpms isn't a concern, 4 blades are generally more torque, less top, so for heavy loading it may very well be the best bet. The motor may also have a max of 6300, the mfg just ran tested to 6100 on that particular test.