Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Proposed changes to Migratory Birds Regulations could end feeding

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by green_head123, Jan 22, 2017.

1. green_head123

green_head123 New Member

More of the so called "modernization" of regulations.
    Give the article and the proposal a read and make your voice heard.

They want to end all baiting for waterfowl. No more 2 weeks free of bait or at least 400 meters away. They want it outright banned (this includes deliberate flooding of corn fields, etc.). This would see the end of many public and private hunting marshes such as Long Point Waterfowl Unit. We need to let them know that we do not want these changes. There is an email address provided on the proposal to which you can send your thoughts.

Baiting in these areas provides valuable food for many more migrating waterfowl and other birds than are actually harvested via hunts in the vicinity.

Regardless, I think it's important to resist any potentially negative changes to hunting. If they see that they can get away with a change such as this one then they'll be that much more likely to limit hunting opportunities in other ways.

We need to make sure this doesn't go through.

Article: https://www.oodmag.com/news/20463/

Proposal: http://ec.gc.ca/rcom-mbhr/default.as...n&n=95887643-1

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  2. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

It's one of the Trump campaign promises. It's called the new NAFTA, North America Flooded Terrain Agreement.

jzoo likes this.
  3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Sorry. I'm for it.

Ramblingman likes this.
  4. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

I think I agree Bang. A couple of clubs that cost a thousand bucks a day to hunt. My heart bleeds for them.

5. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

Add me to a yes also. I hunt south of there and we hardly see and ducks migrate through any more.

jd6400 likes this.
  6. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

I have never understood how under current regulations flooding standing corn to the ears is not considered baiting?? If a crop gets flooded naturally via mother nature then that's a different story but pumping a field to flood a standing unharvested crop intentionally to attract waterfowl? Sorry but I hope they put an end to it.

NOLUCK likes this.
  7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I honestly can't answer for Canada. In the US, baiting is based on how the grain got there. If it was planted according to recommendations for the area, it's legal to hunt over. Only caveat would be manipulating/scattering grain to make it more available to the birds. Again, just speaking for US law, but it's pretty simple. Now, if folks think the law should be rewritten, that's a different deal, but flooding a standing or harvested crop is not baiting. Also worth noting, due to the dredging, channelizing and leveeing of most of the rivers in the MS flyway, in most years the only way to hold water anywhere close to what was historically available seasonally to the birds is to artificially flood and hold water.

Even with all that artificial flooding, we are still far from the habitat historically available. How much waterfowl habitat do we want to lose in the interest of "fairness" to other hunters. Again, I'm just speaking for this side of the border and as a guy who can't afford to have flooded standing crops to hunt.

8. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

I don't speak for all Canadian hunters but most want the birds spread out. Breeding habitat is what we are concerned with. We don't want all of the birds in the flyway going to one place that manipulates crops for hunting. If corn floods that's one thing. If you flood it, I think you are a game hog.

tomturkey and 870 like this.
  9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

What artificial flooding of standing corn does is enable access to the grain for the birds. That manipulation appears to be what these proposals are addressing.

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Understood, and I'm not trying to suggest what is best for Canada. It's a whole different world in regards to habitat when compared to my part of the country.