Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Proposed changes to Migratory Birds Regulations could end feeding

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by green_head123, Jan 22, 2017.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

A lot of the uproar is to the clubs that actually use bait. They will bring in a truckload of bait and dump it in a central field. They are not allowed to hunt within 400m (440 yds) of the bait, so they use it to bring the birds into the general area and then hunt it. New regs will not allow any bait to be put out any later than 14 days prior to season in a hunting district. We used to hunt the bait station in The Pas (they tried to keep the birds out of the farmer's fields), and you could hunt 400m away from the station, and you would have 9-10,000 mallards using it daily. 180 bushels were spread out on the pads and the birds would gorge on it. You would find an open water spot about 500 yds away and wait for the birds to come to water. Best shooting was around 10-11 am , so you didn't even have to get up early. Bad part was that in the pre-GPS days, you could get lost in the marsh in a heartbeat. No landmarks of any sort, and if you got twisted around, you could spend all day trying to get out. I digress.

2. Heronk77

Heronk77 Senior Refuge Member

I am with 10 Ga. Crazy. Flooding standing corn and then hunting in the flooded area is baiting in my books and should be abolished.

NOLUCK likes this.
  3. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

I wish they would stop it in the US. Legal bait is all that it is.

4. The Old Taz

The Old Taz Senior Refuge Member

I know of a farm/spot in Southern Ontario just off of Lake Erie where the owners just knock down a few acres of corn and flood the impounded areas right out the lake (not harvesting the corn). From what I heard they have enough money that the no one really bothers them.

My friend hunted it last year and said they were passing on flocks of a thousand because another flock of a thousand was right behind it. Another friend of mine hunts in the same area and gets very little since they started doing this.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Knocking down a few acres would get them a ticket in the US. And, the fact they have money would inspire most wardens to try to bust them.

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  6. Troller

Troller Senior Refuge Member

When is this proposal finalized?

7. Troller

Troller Senior Refuge Member

No news is good news.

8. green_head123

green_head123 New Member

I heard on another forum that someone heard from the president of Delta that a decision will be made by next season

9. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Interesting......I watched the recent Avian X show on the Sportsman's Channel. Fred was at his duck club hunting a flooded corn field. They had to pick off every cob that would be knocked down when they put in their blind. If they knocked the cobs down into the water.....that was baiting. The whole idea of flooding crops is baiting, not just knocking cobs into the water when putting out the blind.

You want to flood a crop field to draw in birds, fine. But you don't hunt the field itself.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    NOLUCK likes this.
  10. molliesmaster

molliesmaster Senior Refuge Member

Curious as to how many of you opposed flooding corn for ducks plant food plots for deer, or shoot doves in sunflower fields?

Would it not fall under the same category? You are planting food and making it available for the game you intend to hunt, with no intention to harvest said planted food for agricultural purposes. None of you have a problem with hunting on WMA's where the state has specifically manipulated land to attract waterfowl?

I don't have the means to plant and flood corn, but if I did, I would. As of right now, I manipulate swamps and beaver ponds to the best of my ability to provide foods for ducks.

Hunting 400 yards away from a pile of harvested corn is apples and oranges to hunting a flooded field. So I could understand wanting to nip that in the bud. But the rest of the crying just seems to be a separation of the have's and have not's.