Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Proposed changes to Migratory Birds Regulations could end feeding

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by green_head123, Jan 22, 2017.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Illegal to plant food plots for deer , or hunt over any form of bait.

[​IMG]

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Where is the food plot prohibition? None of my business, but I'm curious.

3. rossgoose

rossgoose Refuge Member

The proposal is insane. Glad they aren't considering this ridiculous change in the US. Would eliminate countless thousands of acres of waterfowl habitat. Some people are so concerned about "fairness" they'll happily undermine the resource (the healthy duck population) in the process.

4. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

No the proposal for Canada is not insane. Are suggesting that if it weren't for the act of flooding corn the ducks would die? I highly doubt it. According to who? Game hogs.... There are only a couple of places in Canada where they do this and every duck with in a 200 mile radius get pulled there. It irritates everyone but the guys who xcan afford to spend big bucks to hunt in a particular exclusive club. Some resources should be shared.

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

You commie!

(Actually, I agree with you 100%. Well managed properties with a pile of grain in the centre will draw a lot of birds in. We had a bait station here, where the government tried to keep the ducks and geese out of the farmer's fields by feeding them away from the valley. They would dump 180 bushels of barley down on a couple of pads every day or two. Anywhere from 9-12,000 mallards would use that grain pile. Hunters would set up 400 metres (legal minimum distance ) away and bang the birds when they went to water . Needless to say, baiting will suck in the majority of birds within an area. I'm sure all the flooded grain crops work the same way).

All they would have to do is enforce "standard agricultural practices" and then flooding corn disappears. Not a single farmer I know floods corn on purpose.

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Only in a place where there are no other flooded crops/ag fields. I realize it is different there, so I don't take issue with the change. Here, where virtually the only available food is in flooded ag fields, it's less about having the most food and more about managing pressure.