Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Proposed Tagging Regulations

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by KK-MN, Oct 16, 2006.

1. KK-MN

KK-MN Elite Refuge Member

Can someone please explain the proposed tagging system for next year and how it will apply to residents, NR's and NR-aliens? Also, will it be a Country-wide regulation, or vary by Provence? Thank you.

2. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Never heard of a proposed tagging regulation as being under serious discussion.

Alberta is restricting NR-Aliens to ONE 6 consecutive day gamebird license next year. The other prairie provinces will likely follow suit.

Regs here are run like regs in the US, each province sets their own for the most part. For example guides are mandatory for everything in New Brunswick and for nothing on PEI. Most other provinces fall somewhere in the middle.

3. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

No such regulations exist, although the tagging system for NR has been discussed by the waterfowl managers of the three prairie provinces.

For right now, the 6 day license will likey be implemented in Saskatchewan and Manitoba in the next year or two.

If the tagging system does come into effect. More than likely it will only affect the prairie provinces and only apply to Non-resident hunters.

4. KK-MN

KK-MN Elite Refuge Member

Guys,

So, the goal is to limit the take, or total kill, of American waterfowlers, yes? Do you really think it would be a good thing to both regulate the number of days afield to 6 AND have a total limit(tags)? Seems to me that one or the other would be sufficiant. Something like 32 tags for ducks and 32 tags for dark geese per year - per alien waterfowler seems reasonable.

Where I hunted in Manitoba last week(near Dauphin) - hunting pressure was almost non-existant.... what is the background/reasoning for new regs? Are that many of the Americans that come up there just shooting what many would consider to be "high numbers" and trying to give a lot of them away? Thanks for your insight guys.

5. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

The 6 days thing is aimed at the illegal outfitters who come up her for 2 months and invite new groups of 4 or 5 "friends" up every week for the entire season.

Do a search here on the "fuge for the topic Canada and you will see guys bragging of "taking orders" for birds, giving "grateful farmers" wheel barrow loads of geese, talking about killing full limits of ducks and geese every day for 10 days. When asked about what they do with them some even try to say they gave them to "orphanages and food banks" (a definite outright lie). And those are just the tiny percentage that use this forum. Tags and restricted seasons would be an attempt to get a handle on this BEFORE it becomes a real problem. The alternative that few people (resident hunters included) want to see is mandatory outfitting.

The lack of pressure is a good thing that we want to keep. If new regs make coming here not worth the while of rogues and game hogs then it will have served some purpose.

6. Aaron

Aaron Moderator Moderator

actually, I did see signs with numbers to the food bank in a town 20 miles from the town we stay at so I bet some people do give the birds to it.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Agreed, though the 6 day license does not address those that come up and shoot limits every day, dump or gift them, and keep shooting. It DOES address your illegal guiding situation.

Personally, I am in favor of the tag system. Set it at about 4 daily limits. I can eat a limit of geese every two days, so assuming I kill limits every day, that gives me 5 or 6 days of hunting. If I don't get limits, I can stay till my tags are filled. The only reason I even bring it up is because you already have the system for upland game, so carrying it over to waterfowl just makes sense.

Having said all that, it is your country, so whatever you decide will be the rules I abide by. Anything to keep you from refusing to allow NR's totally is fine with me.

8. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

The goal is to limit the take of NR hunters, but not in a bad way. The fellows that come up here for a few days and have a couple hunts aren't the people these laws are directed at. It the guys that stay for weeks shooting birds every day and dumping or gifting them away.

3x the daily limit of ducks and geese should be enough for anyone. Up until last year guys would routinely brag that they shoot xxx number of ducks and/or geese while up in Canada. This is they type of behavior we want stopped. No one needs that many birds.

It is also an attempt to stop the illegal guides that are guiding "friends".

As of right now they aren't going with the tag system, just the 6 day license. Time will tell if we need further restrictions.

9. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Not sure how a 6 day license will stop illegal guiding.They can still do it....but they can only shoot for 6 days.If I hired a guide,I wouldn't want him shooting anyway.

Obviously it would keep us from hunting more than 6 days.Darn....just when I am retireing.:no

10. 1GRN_HD

1GRN_HD Elite Refuge Member

EXACTLY! Another stupid law for the books. And I though the US was the only gov't that inked stupid laws.... :rolleyes: