Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Proposed Tagging Regulations

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by KK-MN, Oct 16, 2006.

1. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Layout man's getting into the spirit of it now and spreading his cash between two provinces.:tu

Ramsey, I agree about not wanting mandatory guides. That's why the 6 day law for Alberta pleases me because it effectively puts that issue on the back burner for the foreseeable future. They already have tags for upland game birds in Sask and Alaska has season limits on sea ducks for NR hunters. So the tags for birds thing shouldn't be too hard to implement here too. But even that won't happen for awhile if at all.

2. Buzz10

Buzz10 Senior Refuge Member

My experience the past 12 years has been that locals invite NR's to hunt and NR's do the same especially when there is a young hunter involved. In those 12 years we have had only one guide conflict and have only seen one other group of NR hunters while driving many kilom's. We hunt two hours from Edmonton and I hear that those city locals don't have to drive more than 30 min. for a hunt. Canada's problem is really a lack of youth and adults wanting to hunt plus gun control rules and the steel shot issue. What they do love and live for is their Nov. deer hunting.

3. kansasducker

kansasducker Senior Refuge Member

I'm completely with Layoutman on this one. I have seen way too many NR's while I am up there for my 4-6 days who either own a home and spend 4-5 weeks hunting there, or who are there for several weeks attempting to take their limit still on a daily basis.

To me, I am content to plan on a 6 day hunt and if I am successful...pack it up and leave after 4-5 days and if not, stay the entire 6 to try and fill the quota. Do I need 2 weeks to have fun? Absolutely not! However, if you change it to being able to harvest a possession limit only and you can't consume your take and keep on hunting....I won't waste my time driving the 21 hours to my destination to enjoy your fine land. That would not be worth my time and money. I am on a tight budget and Canada is my only extended vacation all year long. Give me "6" and I'll keep trying to help support your small town communities. Take more away, decrease the take, or limit me to a guide only and I'll quit going to Canada.

I think you are some of the nicest people on earth with some of the greatest hunting opportunities in North America, but I also believe you will be cutting your own throats if you get any more restricted than the 6 day license.

On the quota/possession problem. Guides will not take care of that issue. I have personally seen guides dumping clients birds in Canada as a "service". Makes me sick! :fp I'm sure that is only a small minority with those kind of morals, but it's happening. Therefore there are some issues that wouldn't be solved even with a guide only mandate.

If people need more than 6 days, spend it in 3 different provinces. Have fun "exploring new ground" just as I do each year.

I'd like to see some comments on the consuming vs. gifting vs. ditch cleaning arguments as well! That's what REALLY gets my hackles up!

4. Layoutman

Layoutman Senior Refuge Member

Now if we can just get that exchange rate back in the right direction. I liked the exchange rate when it was around 1.56 Canadian per 1 US Dollar........A guy could hit 4 or 5 provinces with an exchange rate like that.

In all seriousness, if your spending $1500 US to hunt in Saskatchewan for 12 days, another $150 in license fees for Manitoba or Alberta is not going to make or break the trip for our group anyway.

It is the whining, bitching, and attitude by the guides that has surfaced over the last several years that is getting old. Having a guide walk into your hotel room without knocking to give you a hard time is a bit much! Having a guide bump geese out of fields, with his vehicle, for fields you just got permission to hunt is also chickenshhit. What is priceless is to set up next to said 'guide' with paid hunters and have them watch you kill a limit of geese while they lay in open pea stubble with 3 dozen snow shells and shoot half a dozen times. I only feel bad for the paid hunters....What comes around goes around.

Over the years I've hunted with several local hunters and have had great experiences. We leave decoys in Saskatchewan with a local hunter/farmer they use them way more than we do.

5. S.Christopher

S.Christopher Elite Refuge Member

Hey guys, for the record, Sean Mann Outdoors is a licensed outfitter in Alberta and has been since day one. At no time have we ever been a "travel agent".

6. Canuk

Canuk Senior Refuge Member

Agreed.

It is a wast of wind talking about how the small towns will loose their shirts because wealthy americans will stop coming. It doesn't matter a hoot.

The bottom line is Managing the resource. When 80% of the dark geese in SK are shot by americans, and we need to reduce the harved of said geese, we need to target americans plain and simple.

I'm NOT in support of manatory outfitting as I see a gong show in the works but luckily that has come and past (NOT happening)... but a 6 day licence would allow 95% of the free lancers a great week of hunting while curbing the abuse from Rogue outfitters (don't fool yourself.. they DO exhist).

Last I heard, and I could be deliquent with my info, when your 6-day lic. expired you could buy another... This was proposed at least for the first year to get an idea of how long the average freelancer hunted in canada (trip duration).

7. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Canuk,

Great points, regardless of who shoots the birds, management of the birds should come first and if too many darks are being shot the limit should be lowered.

We target snows in Sk, we all know about the abundance of snow geese, that being said, 8 darks a day seems like a lot to me!

8. Canuk

Canuk Senior Refuge Member

On the flip side of the coin.. we should do what it takes to make killin snows easier on those that want to (primarily NR's again)... by banning e-callers when using mixed spreads we are handcuffing those that could really make good use of them.

The science that went into the e-call regulation suggested that they would be completely safe to use regardless of decoy selection... There is a small movement now to get that liberalized for next year for at least SK and MB. I'm sure some squeeky wheels wouldn't hurt either.

9. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Canuk,

As you probably know most birds used to come to e-callers over all white decoy spread. This year more and more birds seem to be getting e-caller shy, e-callers they have there time and place. We prefer hunting snows, I like the challenge and when you're on the X it can be a fun time.

As far as making it easier to hunts snows, most NRs go to Canada to hunt darks, it's easier and you don't need a ton of decoys. Snows are getting tougher and tougher to hunt every year and most freelancing NR's won't fork out the coin for the decoys it takes to hunt snows.

Hopefully any chages in regulations will be based on science and not a few complaining guides who don't like NR hunters who are out hunting them.

10. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

I say we outlaw guides both resident and non-resident.