Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Proposed Tagging Regulations

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by KK-MN, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

I agree, as does most everyone else that tagging is the best way to go. I did voice this to the waterfowl manager of Manitoba last year. What he said was the licensing guys feel that adding XX many tags to each license
    would significantly raise the cost of printing license

Which really isn't that much of a problem, just increase the cost of a NR license. I can't imagine it would be that much, maybe an extra $10 - $20 :confused:

If you value you're time up here hunting the way that you do, by spreading out your hunts over a 3 week period. I would suggest that you contact the province you hunt in DNR/Waterfowl manager and let them know of your concerns. Write them a letter or call them directly, and a get a few of your buddies to do the same and let them know you prefer the tagging regulation as appose to the 6 day license.

We don't want to see visiting sportsmen like you're stopped from coming up here to enjoy some hunting, but we also need to stop the aholes that abuse the freedoms we have here.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I have friends who have been coming up here for 20 years who are in the same boat. They do spend 2 weeks up here in the fall, they also come up during our winter festival, and come up in the spring and summer to fish. This is why I htought a 2 week license with a limited tag (i thought 4 possessions would be fair,) and of course if you come up all this way, you do have the option of hunting in a different province, Manitoba or Alberta to give yourself a new adventure.

We want to stop the guys who come up the first week of September and stay until freezeup, who hunt with new "friends" who show up every 3 days, and hammer limits daily, yet fly home with no obvious birds going with them. The business of hunting has, in my opinion, been ruining the sport and tradition of hunting. In Canada, we have only really experienced this in the last 10 years or so, but every year, it gets worse and worse. Having to deal and compete with guides and outfitters frustrates us all, and personally gives me a real bad taste in my mouth. You have had to deal with this for generations in the states, but we have not, and I hate going up to a farmer to ask permission, and having him tell me that no, his new American friend has permission for all his fields and will be controllilng access for him......my pockets aren't deep enough to match that, nor would I. The thought of having to pay to hunt for most Canadians is vile, and again the business of hunting creeps in. I will bring the farmers some nice jerky, a bottle of wine or whisky, some goose and deer sausage, and other gifts of appreciation, but cash will never be one of them.

3. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

Yep....that's what ruins it right there.......greed.......whether it's NR's, resident hunters, or outfitters trying to quarantee access. That's another problem that's going to ruin the current system where it is illegal to lease or give access in exchange for remuneration.

That's the main thing that prompted my contact with SK game warden. A Canadian NR in SK trying to form a co-op of landowners for the purposes of hunting access......and he's not even a licensed outfitter. I here he chewed-out a local farmer this year because he let someone hunt his own land.

It's people like that who enter the picture and corrupt the current system. The system works pretty well (giving equal access to hunting opportunity to NR's, residents, and outfitters - based on the grace of the landowners) until somebody comes-in and wants everything to himself. No regard for others.

4. gnpnast

gnpnast Senior Refuge Member

I personaly hope for a tag system. Have been going to Sask. for 35 yrs with my son & a couple of friends. We have NEVER shot over our limit, & more often than not, don't even come close, however we really love the trip. We stay for 2 weeks & if for some reason we feel like taking a day off or hunt upland birds we do. Don't know if we would make a 3000 mi. rd trip for 6 days. I certainly can understand trying to curb the "shooters" who are only interested in kill numbers. I know of a local WI guide who got his undies in a bunch when I questioned his need for taking 3 flats of shells, 750 rounds, with him. Of course there are some farmers who consider the waterfowl a varmit & encourage the "kill em all" & I will feed them to my cats & pigs theory. I know they are probab;y are in the minority but combine unethical
    hunters with them & there is the setting for major overkills.

How about the Fowl Suppers !! MMMMM Good.

5. Camolund

Camolund Senior Refuge Member

I'm not necessarily opposed to this, but I do hope that if it is implemented the 6 days do not have to be consecutive. I like to take extended trips to northern Canada and there is lots to do. I would like to hunt a day or two, do something else, then hunt later. I don't want to feel that I have to hunt every day 6 days in a row. And then, what do I do when I shoot my limits on days 1 and 2? In that case, which is no stretch of the imagination, it would effectively be a 2 day license.

I do agree that the illegal guides is a big problem. When I know it is happening I tell MNR about it, name names, and give them the information they need to find the criminals. But I'm not sure that they have either the people to enforce or the will to do it--it's probably a little bit of each.

6. Anatidae

Anatidae Senior Refuge Member

I wish more folks felt this way. The fact that there already appears (from forum testimonies) to be a lot of folks that hunt with an elevated sense of urgency, makes me wonder.....if a permit is issued for one 6-day period.....to what length will these folks go to further increase or guarantee their chances of 'success'? I think that might produce more potential for isolated incidents of undesireable behavior.

My understanding is that they (SK) know it's a problem, they don't really have the manpower to devote to investigating rogues, they HAVE the willpower because they know it's a problem......but it is hard to prove because, to make a case, they have to witness a monitary transaction or agreement. They have a lot of territory to cover and there are other concerns that are easier to make cases, than rogue outfitters. I can assure you, though.......the have their own way of dealing with groups suspected of illegal outfitting......but (in my experience) they've always been receptive to accurate information anyone has to share, regarding 'questionable' activity or practices.

If we police our own ranks, I think that will help insure a cooperative effort among all of us who are concerned about this issue......and hopefully a solution.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Refuge Member

I would much rather see a tag system vs. a draw system being our group of 6 needs a year in advance to get monies and supplies together in order to make the trip happen. Each member in our group throws in $20 per month to go to the Canada hunt fund and that is the only way we can afford to go up. We go up for 1 week being that is all we can afford to be off work. This year we were fortunate to have filled our possesion limit of snows so we left early but not before we helped out my friends stepdad (we spent a day moving an eldely woman into an assisted care facility). We were all content with our hunt and really wanted to get home vs. more hunting. We had no problems with other hunters and asked every farmer for permission as well as making the effort in thanking them afterwards.My friends stepdad is a farmer in this area of Sask. and if there was any problems he would be certain to let us know. Haven't heard anything bad as of yet and we make sure we are courtious and polite.
    gnpnast:
    As for the WI guide that brings up 3 flats of shells and got upset when asked. Maybe he is just a bad shot? Really though, as long as he is within the limits of the law, what is the problem, he is there for a week not a month.
    I bring this up because as of lately WI hunters have been taking a beating on these forums, although there are dumbies everywhere. I"m starting to feel like I'm from Minn. with all the negativety(I mean no offense to those of you from Minn.)