Proso Millet ?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by bbfky, Jul 25, 2017.

1. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

Recently built a new pond and sowed the dam in millet as ground cover, it's only rained twice in the last 6 weeks. I was expecting it to get taller but a lot of it is heading out anywhere between 8 inches to 2 ft. That actually works out better for me and probably the birds but was just curious if you all thought it was from lack of rain. It has also been averaging mid 90s for a long time.

2. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

Probably. Plants only have 2 growth stages. Vegetative and fruiting. When stressed, vegetative growth takes a backseat to fruiting and the plant focuses all of it's energy into propagation.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. hhpage

hhpage Senior Refuge Member

If your dam was constructed using subsoil with no top soil put back over the top, you likely have some nutrient and/or pH issues.

4. bbfky

the top of the dam was built with top soil and I fertilized after planting. I'm actually pretty happy that I don't have to mow it so it can be a dual purpose for both doves and ducks. I don't think much grows well under 95+ degrees and no rain.

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Did you check the PH? If it's not where it needs to be, all the fertilizer in the world will not allow it to absorb those nuitrients.

6. Old Critter

Old Critter New Member

7. bwelty

bwelty Elite Refuge Member

It is probably a lack of rain and compaction for the dam. Need to get some deeper rooted grasses sown on it to help hold the soil.

8. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

I planted proso back in early June. It is heading out now and roughly 5 ft tall. I think the lack of rainfall hampered yours. Now that we are hot and dry it's putting on a head.

9. bbfky

My Japanese millet around my pond is around 4ft in some places, I was able to mow some of it to keep it shorter but it was too wet to hit some areas and it took off LOL. Probably going to plant a little more sometime in August. I didn't know geese liked the regular millet so much they have been grazing on the dam for almost 2 weeks. I'm not sure I will have much millet left by the time season comes in. Seems like they bring more friends every day . They seem to graze on the actual plant and not the seeds

10. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

sounds like a good problem to have, if you can keep them around till the season