Public Hunting Land

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by danwelch3, Sep 22, 2003.

1. danwelch3

danwelch3 New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to Colorado. I'm trying to find out some good public land to hunt this season. Ideally it would be land that isnt going to be packed with people, I've got a new dog going out for his first year and it'd be best not to have alot of distractions. I'm in the boulder area but dont mind traveling to almost any part of the state.

2. Goose Pimp

Goose Pimp Senior Refuge Member

Hey bud welcome, to answer your ? there is plenty of public land but having it not full of skybusting idiots is hard to find your going to have to avoid weekends for sure even then dont expect to have the areas to yourself.

3. Renegade

Renegade Senior Refuge Member

Yeah,,,, what he said.... its true.... Weekdays and still.... your gonna see the best of the best come out.....:rolleyes:

4. danwelch3

danwelch3 New Member

Yeah, thats kinda what I figured, but any suggestions as to what SWA's or NWR's are going to be better than others?

5. Gander D. Bander

Gander D. Bander Elite Refuge Member

the few times I have hunted public we had to walk in farther then the lazy skybusting idiots want to walk...be prepared to be amazed at the sights you see on public ground, its nothing for guys to shoot your swing or shoot at birds 150 yards in the air, about twice and you'll be begging to get on private.

6. danwelch3

danwelch3 New Member

Wow, you guys are getting me so excited to hunt here in colorado!:rolleyes:

7. Shoot'em UP

Shoot'em UP Senior Refuge Member

Last year was my first year to hunt here in CO, and I've yet to get access to private land, but some things are in the works ;)
    However I'm very thankful for all the public lands that the state does have in light of coming from GA where there is very little, and what is there is not all that good. Last year I did find that the weekends were "standing room only" especially in the first part of the season, but week days were not all that bad. I found some good public land in NE CO. I basically got a regs and a map and took off. I would suggest the same for you. Feel free to email me, and I'll give you more specific info on what I found. Welcome to CO!

8. goose82

goose82 New Member

You may think "lazy skybusting idiots" is the problem on public land, but that is not the problem. The problem is too many hunters and not enough land. Most of the time when someone is shooting at birds 150 yards in the air, they are doing so out of pure disgust and frustration. When they are walking in at 7:30 it's probably because they are coming from another area where it was so crowded, they couldn't wedge in between the other hunters. You carry your decoys a mile in the dark, only to discover a group of you holier than thou is already in there since 3:00 am with $10,000 worth or equipment, 12 guys and 10 dogs, giving you dirty looks like they own the entire SWA because they were there first. Then you're sitting there in a 1/4 mile square SWA with guns every 10 feet and one lone duck ventures in. Every gun in the SWA is going off and they are "shooting your swing" because "it was your duck". Meanwhile, the surrounding 100 miles is private land with either no hunting signs or hunters paying $10,000 a year for leases, pit blinds and semi trailers full of decoys. That's fine for those of you who devote their entire life to waterfowl hunting, but for the average person who hunts recreationally it just isn't practical.

9. FishingFool46456

FishingFool46456 Senior Refuge Member

Goose82, What is wrong with guys getting up extra early to get the spot they have been scouting? Should they not be allowed to get in there with plenty time to get equipment in and set up? I am not sure about the types of guys that give you dirty looks that you have seen but the guys that do a lot of work to get in there the earliest are usually pretty nice guys, the ones I have had trouble with are the ones that dont scout and just come and set up right on top of you. And If there is 12 guys there is 12 guys, hey its public land and they all have the right to be there. Im not trying to start anything just stirring the pot a bit.

I dont usually hunt with more than one or two people with me and lots of time on public land I go alone. When I go a lone its usually in the afternoons and I usually get the a few hours before they fly since I gotta make a few trips back the car to get all my stuff out. Its kinda the same thing in the mornings I.M.O

10. Goosedad24

Goosedad24 Senior Refuge Member

Skybusting can't be justified at all IMO. Don't give a rats @$$ how many people are there, let the birds work. If you don't, then you are only making hunting harder for everyone, because all you do is educate them :mad: