Public Hunting Land

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by danwelch3, Sep 22, 2003.

1. goosechaser

goosechaser Senior Refuge Member

A very lively discussion we've got going here. I must say I don't hunt public SWA. I hunt private (a lease), but I will say to me hunting is not about the killing. To me it is about being out and watching the birds work your spread. No matter how large or small it is. That's the fun for me. If it comes down to me having to take shots of 40 yards or longer to get birds I will go home empty handed. It is that thrill of fooling the birds and shooting them right over the dekes at 10-15 yards that does it for me. Skybusting is bad for us all. First it educates the birds. Second it gives us a bad image because some of those birds that are skybusted get hit only to fly off and die later be it the city park or wherever. Most of the time the skybuster is the guy who only gets out a few times a year and has no clue at judging distances.
    I agree with Waterproof about the 25 shell limit on SWAs. That sounds like a great idea. Hey, if you can't get get a limit in 25 shells you better go to the range and practice some more.
    If someone gets up earlier than you and beats you to a spot on public land that's the way it goes. Sounds like need to get up earlier. Sorry, but's that the life of hunting SWAs it seems. Also if someone has the resources to buy $10,000 worth of gear to hunt waterfowl....good for them. But don't bad mouth them because they got up earlier than you and have more gear then you do.

Lastly I totally disagree with those that say it is a passion.....IT IS AN OBSESSION! :)

2. Goosedad24

Goosedad24 Senior Refuge Member

Yep.

If you have good ethics, and only shoot birds that are coming to LAND in your deeks, and all the other 200 people on an overcrowded public area did the same thing, then overcrowding would not be a problem. Therefore, overcrowding is not the problem.

I can't tell you how many times I've hunted public, and not gotten any birds, because some jerkoff skybusted at birds that were CLEARLY coming to my decoys and my calling. Had they just let the birds work, I would have gotten some birds. Now, just so I don't sound selfish, if birds are working someone elses spread, I won't shoot at them, because I'm a better person than that.

3. GooseDan

GooseDan Senior Refuge Member

Meatcaller,

I never said i had so much to invest but the little money I do have goes to my hunting gear. Three of us together have 50 dozen and by the way we do have private land as well but if there are birds over public and no birds over my private land you bet you *** i will hunt the public. Its about where the birds are not where i can go watch the sunrise. Did I ever complain?? I think not, I don't have a problem killing birds on public land. Even with the skybusters I can do it but why not you guys? Is it because you don't have enough decoys? I think not because most days I only put out 5-10 dozen but then again you have to have a reason to say you can't kill birds right? Okay.

Number one problem on public land is SKYBUSTING.

GD

4. FishingFool46456

FishingFool46456 Senior Refuge Member

You're damn right. It is good to get out even if its 7 days a week. I will get out any time i can because sitting out there not seeing a bird beats school and work,

5. meatcaller

meatcaller Senior Refuge Member

Goosedan,
    I appologize for the rude comment. I respect your civil response. I infact I just hunted public land for the first time early teal season. We only saw one guy and his son out there of the 3 days we hunted. They shot at one pair of mallards and dropped a hen. Later we mentioned it was only teal season, he replied that it was miss identification. We got peppered by the residual shot. And he insisted a shovler on the pond was teal and tried shooting it ignoring our judgment.
    It got a rise out of me when you had mentioned that you hunt over 50 dozen bigfeet and acted liked you owned the place. I had hunted a prime cornfield with my hunting mentor for years, he had hunted since he was a kid. WE recently lost that place because a couple of hotshots with 3 goose trailers and 5,000 bucks entered the picture. They were supposed to let us hunt when we wished. But they were just a bunch of snobs. After one hunt they came over to us with a bag limit of 4 guys and asked if we wanted the birds, cause they didn't want them. They just are in it for the kill.. We never went back to that spot. But I assume I have read you differently, And appologize for placing that stereotype above your head. Anybody who utilizes the refugeforums understands the true meaning to hunting. And I think we all have the desire and passion (obssession) that gets us up a 4 in the morning to see those geese cascade across the sky.

6. PLAINSMAN

PLAINSMAN Senior Refuge Member

They way I see it, none of us are going to get through to the people who aggrivate us on public land because they are not dedicated enough to the sport to be a member to this web site.

My advice, either find private land to hunt in Colorado or head over to Kansas and pound on their quackers. A Kansas license will cost ya around 75 bucks with the state stamp and their public hunting areas are much larger. But again, you will need to scout these areas to be succesful!

7. Pit Boy

Pit Boy Senior Refuge Member

Guys! I have hunted public land for ducks over the past 2 years and have had great days in the field without ever seeing another hunter! So I will repeat myself, WORK HARDER! Get out more to scout, find the spots that produce birds that others don't know about or hunt on! Does it matter who has the biggest decoy spread or who hunts on private land? No matter where you are your always going to have the possibility that a jacka$$ might hunt the field next to you, that's when experience must turn the birds your way. We all could sit in front of our monitors and bicker about this all month, season starts saturday and I bet there will be more threads just like this every week. The horror stories are just around the corner so I'm changing Gender Benders trademark to:

"Conserve your temper, KILL A SKYBUSTER!"

DOW just released new daily bag limits for waterfowl:

3 dark geese, 20 light geese, 6 ducks and 1 skybuster per day (no possession limit on skybusters)...

8. FishingFool46456

FishingFool46456 Senior Refuge Member

I like the new addition

9. danwelch3

danwelch3 New Member

Hey pit boy, getting back to the original intent of this thread, what areas (in general, no need to give away secrets if you dont want) have you been able to get away from the masses?

10. Foldem

Foldem Senior Refuge Member

Danwelch, pick up a fishing brochure or state trust lands brochure from any retail store that sells licenses or the DOW. Then here's what I did, get a pen and circle all of the properties in the counties you want to concentrate on, and that have the hunting you want listed ie waterfowl, dove, big game, etc... then go check em out. It's understandable that people don't want to give directions to their public honey-holes on the internet, some have found out the hard way. Try to check out the places further from the front range if you want to get away from people, or when legal go on the weekdays.

Foldem