Public Hunting Land

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by danwelch3, Sep 22, 2003.

1. GooseDan

GooseDan Senior Refuge Member

Meatcaller,
    No offensive taken I like to jaw just as much as the rest. But is this all I get are you guys letting this debate die?? Damn. Well have a good opener I know I will.

Foldem I leave for Canada on Wednesday if you can hunt either Monday or Tuesday let me know.

GD

2. danwelch3

danwelch3 New Member

Foldem, I've been doing that for the past few weekends. I think I've found some good spots but without it being the season yet I really cant tell if they will be crowded or not. I'm just wondering what areas are better than others. I was up in Walden and some stuff looked promising, at least there wernt a ton of people scouting.

3. EMan

EMan Senior Refuge Member

danwlch3,

I was up in Walden last week and there was a ton of birds. I hunt North Park once or twice a year and do real well, and as was stated it is real busy on the weekends, but only the first 2 weekends. I always kill birds on the Flying J Ranch, North of town.

Eric

4. goose82

goose82 New Member

My limited experiences with hunting SWAs in Colorado has included going to some areas far away from Denver and doing some walking to get away from the easily accessible areas, only to run into several groups of snobby ******** who think that anyone who isn't in their group or dares to hunt the same SWA as their group is a skybusting idiot and shouldn't be out there with less than 50 dozen decoys and 15 guys. After reading through these posts, I WANT TO APOLOGIZE TO ALL OF YOU GUYS because I realize that it wasn't you that I ran into out there. Having said that, I still think things like limiting the # of shells, the # of hunters in an area and the # of days an area can be hunted would all be good for the sport. I also agree with waterproof that each hunter should know his range and we should be careful when labeling others as skybusting idiots. Maybe I haven't ran into the same skybusters you have, but I have never seen anyone shoot at birds that have their wings locked going into someone else's spread. What I have a problem with is someone telling me I shouldn't have taken a shot at a bird that I can hit because their spread is bigger than mine and they think it would have eventually flown into their spread had I not shot at it, or when I shoot at ducks over my own spread and it happens to scare a different flock that they were working.

5. siltbowhunter

siltbowhunter Senior Refuge Member

go to the top of the grand masa.....
    lots of public spots......

6. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

Okay for the preservation of the sport and for all you goobers that keep saying come over to the west side. I was just sent an official notice from the DOW that ALL PUBLIC land west of the continental divide is closed to waterfowl hunting effective immediately so sorry guys coming over the hill won't help now since all of us have to come over there. LOL :l LOL :D

7. Wack-a-Mole

Wack-a-Mole Senior Refuge Member

That's OK.... I practice shoot and release, so I'm not really killin anything!!! :l :l :nutz

8. 285 Wildcat

285 Wildcat Senior Refuge Member

hey Silk, proof that was funny! I have been to the west slope and I can tell ya, it is NOT worth the drive. The people are mean, they ALL skybust and the worst of it all, your truck will get broken into if you leave it on the side of the road??? This has happened to me at least 3 times now. They also slash your tires if they figure out your from the East side.

9. Pit Boy

Pit Boy Senior Refuge Member

Well, I'm with foldem on this one. Grab a brochure and start digging in. I have spent time out in the prairie looking around for game and places to hunt. A lot of the times if you stop at a local gas station the attendant will give you the low down. Unfortunately, the only way you will find out where my honey hole is located would be going to field with me some day...