Public hunting lands listings, not complaints

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by standupryder, Oct 7, 2003.

1. standupryder

standupryder Refuge Member

The earlier thread on public lands and what happens on them is good, however, I would like to start a separate thread listing hunting spots, and see if we can leave the other discussion on the other thread.

I know Simpson ponds has been good, there is the SWA near Wellington, and there is a spot on the river out near Sterling that has limited reservations that are all decent places. Also, a place east of Greeley on the river I've heard isn't bad. I haven't been to any of them this year, (I was blessed to find some private hunting) but I am sure I will hit a couple of them by the time the season has ended.

Anyone else have some input? Again, leave the problems, having to get out at 2 am, etc on the other thread. There are good hunting areas on public land, you just have to work a little to find them and endure some pains.

My general impression is anyone on this board is pretty dedicated, and everyone sounds to be pretty good people. Hopefully I will see some of you guys out this fall. Anyone who wants to hook up with me and my son PM me.

2. Goosedad24

Goosedad24 Senior Refuge Member

First of all, welcome!! Are you from Kersey, did you go to PV and when did you graduate? I've got lots of ties to Kersey and I may know you??

Traditionally I've found the farther east you go, the better the public spots are. I used to hunt Prewitt a lot, especially when it was ice, but I think the DOW didn't renew the lease so it's no longer a public spot. Cottonwood SWA is a decent spot out that way too.

3. standupryder

standupryder Refuge Member

I do live south of Kersey now, grew up in eastern Colorado ne of Arkon, south of Sterling. I have one son in PV now, going to be another one in a few years, and another kid (don't know boy or girl yet :) ) a couple years after that.

Prewit does have public hunting this year, I know it's a limited area, but I haven't been out there. I need to stop by and scout it, may do that this weekend. Let me know if you are interested in meeting up and hitting it one weekend.

Public hunting does tend to get less crowded the farther you go east, also, private hunting is easier to find as well.

4. Shoot'em UP

Shoot'em UP Senior Refuge Member

Amen to the further east you go. Hunted the spot on the river close to Greeley last year, and decided it's worth the drive to go further east to get away from the crowd. I think there are more birds out that way. I hunted Cottonwood just the other day, and saw a fair amount of bird and only one other hunter, of course it was a weekday.

5. USMC

USMC Elite Refuge Member

Went to Brower today and spnked some! Banner lakes is nice also.

If you guys hunt during weekdays let me know and we will hook up!

6. webfoot00

webfoot00 Senior Refuge Member

Hey USMC If ya ever want to hook up on weekdays let me know. I have some spots. I always go by myself( all the buddys work too much) I'm taking advantage of being a student for a little while;)

7. USMC

USMC Elite Refuge Member

That sounds like a winner! Next week I can probably go friday.:D

8. donutshell

donutshell Refuge Member

Centenial valley out by Kersey can be good but you must call in, also messex can do well.
    Anyone that hunts mondays I'm always looking for a comrade.

9. H2O_Tech

H2O_Tech Senior Refuge Member

I'll echo the further east comments. Hunted Jumbo last Saturday and managed a fair shoot. Good #'s of ducks and probably 10 or so parties on the lake.

Prewitt is still public, but she's very low. Never hunted it, but have hunted near and it seems to hold more birds later. Probably not a coincidence that it holds more water later.

Centennial is a cool spot. Nice stretch of river. Saw a cow elk there in the Fall of 2001. Saw another/same cow elk a week later dragging behind a DOW 4-wheeler (CWD shoot).

10. FishingFool46456

FishingFool46456 Senior Refuge Member

I saw elk tracks out there last year never saw any elk, lotta deer though