North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Public Land Etiquette

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by CoachP, Jan 22, 2018.

1. CoachP

CoachP New Member

I’ve read a great deal, both here and on other forums, about the unwritten rules and etiquette of duck hunting. As a sportsman, there are certain rules that I follow regardless of the species; however, I had a situation recently that I’d like to hear your thoughts about.

I spent some time Wed scouting for a spot to solo hunt on the local Game Lands (3 day/week area) and found a nice area along a beaver pond swamp not too far from a good-sized lake. There was some evidence that others had been there earlier in the season — mainly trash and a few spent shells.

Saturday morning, I arrived nearly an hour before shooting light and set up near said spot. I was actually a little farther than I’d hoped due to trying to bushwhack my way in through the darkness. About 10 minutes before legal shooting time, another vehicle showed up and parked adjacent to mine. The driver began making his way towards me, but didn’t locate me until I turned on my headlamp. At that point, he returned to his vehicle and left. As this was a first trip for me, I actually felt vindicated for having picked a promising spot. I did see 4-5 woodies fly through.

While the area may have been large enough for 2-3 hunters who were working it together, I am glad that this individual turned and left as I have no idea who it was. In retrospect, I question whether I should have spoken (though it was a little close to shooting time to be moving about) or even invited the hunter down and shared the swamp so to speak. Regardless, I’m guessing I’ll have to be there even earlier next shooting day.

Your thoughts?

2. Visco

Visco New Member

I believe the person who walked up on you did the right thing and departed the area. You could have invited him in, but again if you did or did not, I do not think your judgement was wrong at all. I have been in the same boat, and sometimes I do not invite the individual, but something I do. I mainly hunt public land up this way, and where I hunt is a high traffic area, so I expect others to come up on me while I am there.

OK... now that I have typed this up... what grammatical errors have I typed and cannot see?

WoodieSC, Bluedog and CoachP like this.
  3. W&W

W&W New Member

Its not often hunting public land/water in SC do you see individuals displaying respect like that. Not just other duck hunters, but bass fisherman can be just as bad and disrespectful by fishing within 50 yards of my spread. Ive had it happen. I think both of you did the right thing.

WoodieSC and CoachP like this.
  4. Pot Hole

Pot Hole Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I would have probably turned on my head lamp as soon as I saw the truck pull in, especially if I knew I was likely in the spot where most folks tend to set up. If the fella walked in anyway, I would have probably invited him to hunt, otherwise if he sits nearby, it would probably mess up the birds I'm trying to work.

5. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

My experiences with PL have improved with getting my latest dog.

I usually get to the spot first, and invite a single if he arrives late... I like the dog work and don't care who shoots the birds. A retrieve is a retrieve, eh?

Last season on the way out of the impoundment I let her run loose and she stole a duck from a party closer to the entrance. After returning the duck, I sent her for a cripple that they lost earlier that morning. Twenty minutes later, she returned with a nice drake woodie and made a new friend!

3ds

6. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

I think your grammar is ok, but I'm a bit confused about you being in the same boat with someone but not inviting them to hunt.

7. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

Visco that was funny lol. Hunting a public spot in the Midwest years ago. We had the X and a college kid comes by us and says he does not want to mess us up and asks if he can go by us to another spot. We invite him to join us. We all limit and he ends up hunting with us 3 days straight. He was a lot of fun to hunt with.

8. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

Agree with Pot Hole, show a light early so others will know where you are. I hate to wade a swamp, get to where I want to go - then have another hunter shine a light. I might not have time to relocate compromising both hunts. I do find it difficult to judge distance at night.
    I've invited other hunters to join me three times this season, only one taker. Message there??

CoachP likes this.
  9. Visco

Visco New Member

That is called respect in my book. Sounds like you had a good group of waterfowlers in your area.

CoachP likes this.
  10. Visco

Visco New Member

You had me for a second... I actually went back and re-read my post to make sure I typed it right. Good one.

ducknwork, WoodieSC and CoachP like this.