Public Land Near Whiteman AFB

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Phil N, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Phil N

Phil N Elite Refuge Member

My son just found out he will be stationed at Whiteman AFB so I thought I would ask here for a few pointers for him. He has plenty of experience hunting refuges and public land here at home just; just looking for some general pointers for places for him to go. Are there waterfowl refuges nearby, what are the entrance policies like, etc?

I really appreciate any help you are able to give him!

Phil

2. Guthook

Guthook Senior Refuge Member

Not many replies here but going solo is tough because you need up to four in a party at having much luck at the public land drawings. Lots of public area in that area and posted on MDC website within an hour or so from there. Freelancing potential at Truman if the water height is right but also full of stumps regarding boating at O:dark thirty. Going solo here would be best hiking in on some flats. I would study the access points and get a lake topo. He needs a buddy as things can go bad fast, the common sense thing as ambition can get the best of anyone. He might even meet some guys at a draw and know he will have lots of friends if he draws a low pill. Good Luck!

3. Phil N

Phil N Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for the reply. He is pretty excited about getting stationed in a place with such good hunting and fishing. It doesn't appear he can put in for reservations being a nonresident from what we can determine online. He is familiar with lottery lines so hopefully he get used to the way you all access the hunt areas there (little different than the way we do it here). Hopefully he'll get acclimated quick and get on some birds. Thanks again!

4. JamesM

JamesM Refuge Member

He qualifies for all the same licenses and lottery opportunities while on active duty. All active duty service members are considered residents of the states that they reside in. All he needs is his orders, ID card and drivers license (depending on the state). It doesn’t matter what his home of record is. This is federal law and if someone says otherwise they don’t know what they are talking about. Depending on the state he is from he may also not need a hunting license while at home on leave. I know you don’t in Florida and I haven’t had a Florida hunting license in eight years and I hunt every time I’m home.

5. linhardt

linhardt Senior Refuge Member

Hitting the MDC Duck Parks will be a gamble as far as being able to get in to hunt, especially if you are a solo hunter. Like Guthook indicated the odds go in the favor of the larger party of 4. I know nothing about active duty service members hunting license regulations in Missour and not sure if he can participate in the quick draw like JamesM indicated he can, so I would have him contact Missouri Dept. of Conservation to ask. But he is in an area that is close to Truman Lake and in the direct flight path of the central flyway through missouri, so there should be some opportunities of duck filled smaller lakes, ponds, rivers, and creeks. Will take lots of scouting on public land and maybe a few knocking on doors to get access to private land to have best places and opportunities. Just south of him is lots of private clubs, so it is definitely ducky around there. He might try to inquire about memberships available to some of the private clubs if he has the funds to do so. I don't, so I am stuck with public lands. I hope he has some good luck this year and gets out there for a few hunts.