Public Service Announcement for all Duck Hunters

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by mudder, Jan 3, 2018.

1. mudder

mudder Senior Refuge Member

Sorry if you dont have Facebook.

But great reminder to wear your dam life jacket. I wrote that to remind my dumb *** also!!

wanapasaki, brentbullets and olepal like this.
  2. JD1107

JD1107 Senior Refuge Member

Wow. Glad you made it out of the water alive. Things can get ugly quick when you least exspect you.

3. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

A great reminder! Thanks for sharing. And thank the good Lord you made it out okay! :pra

4. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

Thank you sir for your honest testimonial and the obvious relevance for us all. Great that you are here and able to give it. It might even give someone just enough thought to make a good precaution a regular practice. I have friends whose names are included on a memorial lighthouse plaque here in Trinidad CA who weren't so lucky. Big and cold water has no sympathy and gives no consideration.

Mitch

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for your honest video. I cancelled a hunt this week. Single digit temps, probably ice and a strong current on a river. Two old guys, one pushing 70 and the other 62. I’ll hunt the lake instead, but with two boats in that weather. Life jackets always. I leave mine covering the motor ( its camo) or right there where I sit in the boat. I wear one at the boat ramp too when alone. There are a lot of possibilities of falling in at the ramp when you are messing with the boat etc in he dark. Go out to chase a cripple, life jacket on. I know some guys say that it will only help the rescue guys find your body. BS. When you hit that water your body reacts and you need something to float you. Also your waders with their natural bouyancy of the neoprene and added trapped air will float you BUT will float the lower part of your body and sink your head.
    Again, thanks for the video.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Learn how to survive in cold weather. Watch the series of videos by this cold water researcher. First thing anyone should buy is these and put them around your neck.

[​IMG] They push into each other and pull apart when needed. You can easily pop yourself out of the water with these . Keep them around your neck.

Here is the link to the articles and videos on cold water survival .

Meet Professor Popsicle:

A feature article in Outside Magazine details the work that is being done at the University of Manitoba to save lives by providing information to the general public and professional EMS, and Search and Rescue Agencies.

Cold Water Boot Camp:

Dr. Giesbrecht participated in the creation of a true-life educational project regarding survival in cold water. Volunteer students from across Canada and the US combined real life exposure to cold water and classroom instruction. The video production can be watched on line or a free DVD copy (including instruction materials) can be ordered via the email link on www.coldwaterbootcamp.com.

Discovery Channel Canada Videos (2002):

Dr. Giesbrecht acted as a Cold Weather Columnist for the Discovery Channel Canada. Three educational video presentations were created.

These downloads are for non-commercial, single-user viewing purposes only. No reproduction is permitted.

If you would like to display this material to your group or are interested in purchasing copies of the Discovery Channel Canada Videos (2002), please contact Distribution Access at www.distributionaccess.com.

To save the High Res versions to your computer please right-click (PC) or click and hold (MAC) and choose 'Save As'. The High Res videos are in MPG format.

1. Cold Water Survival - Strategies for survival if you fall through the ice (High Res - 150 MB) (Low Res - 4.6MB)
    2. You’re Out, Now What? How to survive a night in the forest after losing your snowmobile through the ice (High Res - 136 MB) (Low Res - 4.2MB)
    3. Getting That Sinking Feeling - The importance of proper outerwear to keep you afloat and alive when snowmobiling (High Res - 123 MB) (Low Res - 3.8MB)
    State of Alaska Guidelines for Treatment of Cold Injuries (2003):

Dr. Giesbrecht participated in an expert panel that revised the Cold Injury Guidelines that provide a standard of care for many Emergency Medical Services and Hospital Groups. Download Guidelines (PDF)

Marathons on Ice - Lake Winnipeg 2004:

In January 2004, Dr. Giesbrecht hauled a sled on a solo expedition of Lake Winnipeg that covered 450 kilometers in 26 days.

One Million Steps Winter Research Expedition on Lake Winnipeg (2001):

In February 2001, five men hauled sleds the length of Lake Winnipeg in a Scientific Winter Expedition that covered 450 kilometers in 19 days.

Seminars and Lectures (off campus):
    These documents require Acrobat Reader - free at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html

7. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

never worried about my labs when I was younger sending them out on the ice to retrieve a bird. had the attitude that is what they were bred and trained for and if it was their time to go under the good lord would determine if they made it out of the ice.

we knew if they broke through that we would be putting our lives at risk if we thought about rescuing them. I can remember breaking up sheets of ice with axes and sledge hammers pushing them under the ice on a large pond to open up water and dropping geese and ducks on the ice over the center of the pond and watching the dogs running full steam across the ice sliding to grab a bird. wouldn't think about doing that again with my dogs now as I would be heart broken to lose one over a duck or goose and I am sure my family wouldn't be all that happy if I come home with the news.

I can still remember my grandfather telling me years ago when we had some ducks and geese sitting on a large pond that it wasn't worth the time he spent training his lab to send it on the ice and take the chance of losing it over a duck or goose. he also made me swim into a pond to retrieve a goose when I got ancy field hunting for geese. we had shot several and needed one more goose for our limit. I decided to walk to the pond to see what was on it thinking I may get lucky on a sneak. He said we have no boat or dog so if you choot something you better get it so that it doesn't get in the water. snook over a nole and saw one lone goose on the shore. shot but the goose flew out over the pond and fell out. got hung up on some sticks. waited hoping it would get dislodged. Nope, walked back and had to answer to granddad what the chooting was about and had to tell him where the bird was. he said let's get busy picking up field decoys. made the long walk back to the truck. knew he wasn't happy. he began to lecture me on wanton waste and the need to make every attempt to retrieve what you choot. I was probably 12 or so at the time and wasn't smart enough to tell him the eagles and hawks need to eat as well. he drove through the field to the pond and proceeded to tell me to get out. he asked me how my retrieving skills were and said it is time for you to go and retrieve that bird. I started to head to the water with all my clothes on and he suggested I strip down so that I had warm clothes to get into when I got back. I think that was the fastest swim I ever did making it out 30 yards and back in my life. Never will forget it. wish the old man was still alive to share a blind or pit with.

The Other David likes this.
  8. wanapasaki

wanapasaki Senior Refuge Member

Thank you for the lesson. This is an awesome reminder

9. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Thank you for sharing. Glad you are alive!

10. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

Very good reminder....especially right now, with single digit temps. Thank God you're ok.

ncb