Public vs. Private

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by huntingrdr, Jul 18, 2006.

1. huntingrdr

huntingrdr Senior Refuge Member

Hey Guys,

Been bored out of my mind... just thinking about duck hunting!! What do you guys mostly hunt public or private? I dont have many friends that hunt ducks down here so alot of time I will go on my own unless I get an invite by some of the older guys I know. I would like to hunt public more often but since I am 16 it is illegal, you have to be 18 to hunt it or hunt with some one 18 or older. I get to do this every now and then but not as much as I would like to. So most of my hunting is private. I only have about 5 private spots I know to hunt but would like to add on to that this year. I have been looking but not having much luck. How do you guys find private spots to hunt? There is alot of land around here to hunt but no one lives on the land to ask them and I do not know how to locate them Anyways what do you hunt?

Robert

2. DUXwarrior

DUXwarrior Senior Refuge Member

I am in the exact same boat as you. Im 16 too but I hunt alone on public. I would say I hunt about 50/50. Have lots of places scouted so when we ask this coming week or so hopefully it will go 75 private/25 public. Where do you live? Around Dallas?

3. DUXwarrior

Oh ya did you ever talk to Mike about that lease in Graham..

4. huntingrdr

I would hunt public alone buy I dont want to get a big ticket or get my hunting license suspended or anything like taht since it is illegal to hunt public without some 18 or older with you. Mike about the lease in Graham...not sure what you are talking about there? Mike who?

5. huntingrdr

Oh and yes I do live in Ft.Worth

6. DUXwarrior

Earlier you posted about lookin for a hunting lease. Some guys told you to call Mike in Graham, Texas. I think Hunt(Cormorant) and I are going to get together for a hunt on Tawakoni..We need some more people.

7. waterfowlwacker123

waterfowlwacker123 Senior Refuge Member

i mostly hunt public. mainly becasuse of the variation of ducks that come in there. when we hunt private its usally just woodies and greenheads. we just usely like to do public waters again for the variation and more action.

8. huntingrdr

Oh yah now I know what your talking about with Mike and the lease...well that lease never worked out. :( Shoot me a pm when yall go to public this year. I would love to go! Do yall have a boat or are we walk ins?

Thanks Robert

9. DUXwarrior

Alright sure will. I dont know if we will have an 18 yr old though. He said he has a boat but if he doesnt I have one. I can bring my dog too if yall want. If one of yall has one it doesnt matter to me. Have you ever hunted Tawakoni? If I came up there I would rather stay for more then one hunt because its a long drive. Yall are always welcome to come down here I should have a new ranch house done by late season. THere is a good flooded timber lake near the ranch but we need water. Also I winter like 300 ducks on my ranch but I dont want to over hunt them but we can hunt em one morning. I also have access to almost all the ponds in the area about 2-20 acres in size so whatever yall want to do I will tell you how the duck numbers are and what I am seeing incase yall are interested. I usually hunt by myself only duck hunters we have around here are a couple friends i introduced and I dont like hunting with them that much so it would be nice to hunt with some others for once.

10. DUXwarrior

Here is a few pictures of where i hunt.

My ranch
    [​IMG]
    widgeons at the ranch
    [​IMG]
    just a pond on the ranch
    [​IMG]