Pulling Power

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by marshmob, Dec 24, 2017.

1. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

So I’m always going back and forth on picking up a silo spread for all the reasons everyone talks about on here. Recently I grabbed 4dz big al b&w’s to use in one of our traffic areas. We ended up setting
    7dz fb’s and the 4dz b&w’s. I parked the truck about 1/3 mile away and walking back the b&w’s just popped and the fb’s couldn’t even be seen. I know that’s the point of these decs but damn, makes me wonder if a guy wouldn’t be better off running a couple hundred in traffic fields and leaving the fb’s in the trailer. Besides that, the 4dz looked like the same amount or more than the 7dz. Anyone out here running just b&w’s spreads?

2. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

If it wasn’t for frozen ground that would probably be all I ran.

goosenazi likes this.
  3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Killed plenty of ducks over an all silo spread,but never killed a single goose.Tryed as few as 2 dozen and up to 13 dozen and just can't seem to get bonkers to commit to an all silo spread
    We do have very finicky geese here .
    Don't know what we do wrong,our hides are good as we land em in the FBs

4. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Just wondering if you tried "V" boards before? Haven't heard the guys that use Silo's talk about them when the ground gets froze.

5. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

Skinnies definitely have a learning curve but having the same results as my full body rig. Still quicker to drill holes in frozen ground then setting up a full body spread. Big changes next year to my rig

6. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

I tried silos thirty years ago. I killed more geese over one dozen standard shells than I did over four dozen silos, which was zero. I could not even kill singles over them. Tried them for one full season then sold them.

7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We use to have a big spread of silos. Some situations any decoy will kill geese, Some situations certain decoys work better.

I like using silos in taller cover, very deep snow or during heavy snow fall.

8. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I’ll be in this field a couple more times
    over the next week so I’ll get back with how they seem to work.

9. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Sillos are most popular in the central flyway and east side of the Pacific flyway and seem to work very well in those areas.

10. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

I'm in eastern flyway. Silos work fine and dandy. Lots of vids to prove it. A lot of my hunts are traffic hunts too. Gaining a lot of confidence with them