Pump guns

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Wareaglebrowning, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Wareaglebrowning

Wareaglebrowning Refuge Member

Lots of them out there , Browning, Benelli, Winchester , Remington, oppions on which is the best , pros and cons ! Thanks !

2. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

870 wingmaster, king of the pump guns !

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Find the one that fits you best, Benellis and browning have more drop at comb than Rem 870, Mossberg 500 or Mod 37. Browning generally more attention to detail as well as rem 870 wingmaster. Win 1200, mossy 500 and imports kinda rough as well as rem 870 express. They,ll all work reasonably good if maintained. Remington 870 replacement parts easiest to find if something breaks.

4. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

When talking pump guns, the fastest, slickest one out there is one that very few people would even think of, the Winchester 1300. I have one, it has never malfunctioned. Not once. I have a 1200 Winchester(the 2 3/4 inch version of the same gun)that my father bought me when I was 11. It has never malfunctioned a single time in the over 4 decades since. It is slicker than any pump gun out there. Easy to disassemble and clean, it is the best value out there.

If you are talking the most rugged, the one that can take the most abuse, that would be the Mossberg 500. That gun would feed a soda can through the action if you could get it in the magazine tube. It is a little complicated to disassemble,but nothing that is not easily mastered after a few times.

The 870 Wingmaster that was aforementioned is a good gun. It is not to be confused with the 870 Express which I consider to be the most over-rated pump gun out there. I had one, I got rid of it.

The Benelli Nova is a good pump if you want a 3 1/2 gun.I had one and liked it, I only got rid of it because I got a chance to trade it for a gun I wanted more.

The BPS is a less reliable choice. I had one of them as well, mine jammed a few times. Not a whole lot, but I don't like a gun that jams even once, I will not tolerate one that jams periodically. It was a little slow as well. I found you had to shuck it hard to get it to function.

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

My Ithaca 37 has kept humming along with 1973. I have a couple barrels for it, and an extra stock I cut down when my kids were starting out on it. As a leftie, I appreciated the bottom eject. Well designed , nice and light and an easy swinging gun. I have an 870 as well, and it is a workhorse. Won an 887 and it is complete junk. Those are the only three pumps I have owned (or own now), so I won't suggest or recommend anything else.

6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ive owned two pumps two Ithaca 37 A and a BPS 10 all good guns Ive shot Ive shot others but felt the Nova was a bit "clanky"

7. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

Had a Benelli Nova for several yrs, then traded up to a Super Nova for it's quieter forearm and easier safety access. Have had the Super for 10 yrs ? or so and it has been flawless. I have an auto now that gets more use but the Super Nova is my back up and is ready to go.

captbil2003 likes this.
  8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

All things considered, I'd have to go with the 870 Wingmaster.

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

My 870 is still going strong after 40 years of use so I can't fault them one bit, Winchester 1300 is good but mine did break and had to replace some parts after abusing it for years. Ithaca 37 and BPS are good guns just never liked the bottom ejection. Benelli Nova shot well just never liked the clunkiness of them.

10. duckbuster2

duckbuster2 Refuge Member

870 Wingmaster can't go wrong.