Pump guns

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Wareaglebrowning, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

That's why I specified "aftermarket" recoil reducer. I.e. you can buy one to fit the 870 just as you can buy one to fit the Nova.

Oh, and one last thing: the 870 is a MUCH better looking gun than the Nova. :yes

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

If I had to have a gun that shot well and would last long and shoot anything, it would be an older 870 Wingmaster... Smooth action, points well, easy to maintain...

I have an older Ithaca 37 (SK) that is a very nice looking gun with an extremely smooth action, and I love the bottom ejection... Finding ammo that it will eat is a bit challenging though... The gun I have (and have heard from others) is very fickle about the ammo it eats...

The Benelli is a workhorse but seems "clunky" and lumbersome to me.

My father had a Model 12's that he enjoyed shooting, but they had multiple cycling issues.

The BPS seems like a smooth gun, and I like the bottom ejection (as on the 37) but it seems like a pain to maintain for a pump... People that I know that have them have had no complaints with reliability though...

Tuleman likes this.
  3. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

have 2 12ga BPS, Winchester Model 1200 (my first new shotgun dad bought me) and Remington 870 20 ga in my safe. The bps are a pain to disassemble and clean but they will work and cycle shells regardless, pretty bulletproof but right now if lucky shoot a box of shells through them a year. Shot my Remington 870 vintage early 70s last month on ducks and really like the gun.
    All pumps are pretty much bullet proof, spray and blast and little oil and pretty much will cycle til the cows come home.

4. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

About the recoil of the Nova.......yes, I believe the comfortech stock does help and makes a difference, but look at the recoil pads of each. The Nova has a hard rubber, solid pad and the Super Nova actually has a "recoil" pad that is soft and flexible. BIG DIFFERENCE between the two.

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the info about after market recoil reducers being available. Are they in the stock style reducers? Manufacturer? retail source?
    I know the limbsaver pads are great too.
    I find that the NOVA is beautiful, especially for Star War duck hunters.:rolleyes: Yeah, they are a bit to get used to, but are good guns. Out of frustration I took mine out a few times this season so I can shoot my 3.5 shells that I swore off the last few years. " You don't need 3.5 inch shells, blah , blah, blah " I says many times. Switched to semi auto and love um but just felt the need to punish the defiance geese who stay " out there". It worked and I feel much better now, ha. .

Good to know that Remington is making kick arse 870's for waterfowling . I got out of touch.
    I borrowed my brother's Wingmaster years ago when we went to ND pheasant hunting. One of the best hunts of my life.... and I was shooting that Wingmaster like all get out. Gawd, I have to go back. There was a Wingmaster advertised on an index card at a local grocery store for around $280 . I am kicking myself in the arse everytime someone mentions Wingmaster for not jumping on it.

6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Midway , Gamaliel , Graf & sons would be starters for your search of a reducer , specify what gun it's for as the stocks length and hole size is important !
    You should have a choice of the reducers weight too , on certain models .

FYI.....if you're looking for recoil reduction with a Old Wingmaster , I use a piece of 1/2" pvc ( cut to length ) so it fills the stock hole up tight to the recoil
    pad , I plug the ends with a 1/4" long pc of wood dowel as I have filled the pc of pipe with #9 lead shot . By adding this weight to the rear of the stock , it
    has helped in reducing the recoil for me and my guns !
    Also , by using Electrical tape at each end to add more diameter to the pipe , it can be adjusted to fit the stock hole very tightly .

7. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

For rem 870,s recoil reducer/counter weight can also be installed in magazine tube in place of plug. I,ve set mine up this way as I like a weight forward gun for duck,dove, goose hunting.

Tuleman likes this.
  8. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

Agree, even though I collected and shot clays and waterfowl with Model 12's the 870 is the "king", faster and more dependable that's why millions have been sold since 1949.

duckbuster2 likes this.
  9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The 870 (Wingmaster) is the Chevy PU of slide action shotguns.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

And the NOVA is the Nissan. :joker