Pump guns

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Wareaglebrowning, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

There have been many times when we would move to be under a flight line so we could shoot straight up , this allowed us to make some amazing shots !
    Our Mod 12's and 870's then were loaded with Copper 4's and 2's Buffered and some birds when they hit the ground , would have their breast split open !

2. PantherMartin

PantherMartin Elite Refuge Member

That article was for information purposes only. It has nothing to do with what I think. If anyone wants to know what I think of the Express, I can tell you.

Concerning a mag extension, I thought some people did that for Snow Geese.

When it comes down to it, aren't waterfowl shotguns much like military firearms. You put them through all kinds of weather and earthly challenges. You want lubricants that work and you want your firearm to work. You don't want mechanical failures. Failures while hunting ruin a hunt.

One of the better goose hunting locations in the U.S. are the peanut fields in Texas. When the wind blows (and it blows a lot), it will seize a pump not to mention a semi-auto. The grit works it's way into the receiver. That place is like hunting in Iraq with the grit. A friend of mine hunted there for a spell and seized a Nova. He couldn't believe it. They took it apart and washed it in hot water in the bathtub later. He said the bottom of the bathtub looked like a beach. It's layout hunting there. There's not a brand of shotgun made that hasn't failed in that place.

I like pumps that are dependable and that you can strip and clean fairly easily. That's my criteria. In 3", I like the Wingmaster and 37. Both were/are widely used in law enforcement. Both with available parts and easily repaired. I hunt with both. I think I like the 37 better because of some of it's features. But it's hard to beat a Wingmaster. If you can't maintain a Wingmaster, there's no hope. You can buy left hand safeties for both.

Want a bargain grunt gun in 3-1/2" that's simple to take care of, I hate to say it but the Stoeger. I like it better than the Nova.

Everyone has their own criteria for how they hunt, where they hunt and a shotgun they want. For me, that means zero failures during a season unless a part breaks. I try to make sure that doesn't happen with the pre-season inspection.

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

He wishes (SOF)

4. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

We hunt the Potomac River south of DC. Same thing. With dogs bringing the silty mud in the boat, actions get gummed up especially if it is below freezing out. Best I have seen is a 3" Vinci. I could not believe it was still shooting when it finally did quit. Anyone who says their guns never FTF have never hunted where I do.

I have two 2 3/4" 870's. Dad's old chrome lifter one and mine from 1976. Great guns. I hate the way the NOVA feels and looks, but it was pretty darn reliable when I owned one.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Well , if you have never hunted the Upper Klamath in Oregon be prepared for mud and silt !
    For just a little insight , it's a good place to lose your dog from drowning in silty mud that can be over 8 ft deep !
    You just can't keep that stuff off you or ALL your gear .

6. PantherMartin

PantherMartin Elite Refuge Member

43x:

I have your "Lightning Steel" manual. You have a picture on the front with a 37. Is that just for show or do you use one? I didn't know the article was from Wakeman. I just have a printed copy in my stuff. Does it make a difference as long as it's factual? It was factual as far as I could see. You think the guy is a dope or what?

I like your one shot wonder loads the best. The Estate hull works much better for me than the Federal on crimps. Why, I don't know. They're supposed to be the same thing. I use them for all the Federal loads including the Gold Medal. I don't have to worry about loosing them in the weeds like the Gold Medals. In my manuals, they're a lower pressure hull than the GM's anyway.

7. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

That picture of the 37 is mine, it’s 1939 , no it’s not for show , lol
    I just said wakeman as a joke , seems he’s a Authority on any topics you want to bring up LOL

8. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

Hard to beat an 870.

Danny

9. cajunduck man

cajunduck man Senior Refuge Member

I own 4 pump guns...2 Model 12's, 1 Model 98, and a BPS 3 1/2 that has some 10 gauge parts on it. One of the Model 12s is the last month production...I have Briley chokes in it and I shoot steel out of it...no problems...the other is a 1950 model...great dove and rabbit gun. The Model 97 was an awesome gun and I used it a lot in the days before steel; one day I will buy some non-toxic and bring it out again. My BPS was the first model made for 3 1/2 shells...it is indestructible. I am not a Remington guy...no offence to the gun...it just did not fit me...many of my friends shots them, especially the 16 gauges...and they were some awesome shotguns. Pump guns can take a lot of abuse and keep on ticking. Find one that you are comfortable with, no matter what the cost, and go for it. You will find that in the long run you will kill more duck and geese because it is an extension of you. Just remember...guns are like trucks...everybody drives a particular one because they had problems with other ones.

10. Wareaglebrowning

Wareaglebrowning Refuge Member

Thanks to all that has responded, I do own and shoot and older, and they get bashed a lot 870 express , and yes at first it gave me fits, I had to use a break hone on the chamber with jewlers ruge , I polished it like a mirror, no more problems, I've killed a lot of ducks with it , the thing for me , when it's bitter It will work !!! And I don't have to baby it , throw in the bottom of the boat chasing cripples , in the mud , water whatever, plain old black synthetic, don't get me wrong I like my autos , there fun , but when I'm river hunting r it's brutaly cold I use old faithful !!!